Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2005 sportsman 500 hot-check engine while cold

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 08:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 sportsman 500 hot-check engine while cold

This machine only has 700 miles on it. ECM replaced under recall in 2014. It was used occasionally afterwards with no issues. It was recently taken out of storage. Upon connecting a new battery, the fan immediately comes on with no key. Within 10 seconds of key turned on "hot" and "check engine" are flashing on the pod, while the fan runs continuously.
Another issue is the white reverse lights are always on. The shifter indicator shows the correct position on the pod.
I have read some other threads about these issues seperately, and plan on following the advice of OPT. I am posting this thread because none of the others seem to have had the continuous fan running condition I have, and thought that may be cause for a different flow in the diagnosis.
The way I see it, is I either have both a bad temp sensor and a bad transmission position switch, or a bad ECM. I don't want to buy expensive parts I don't need. Perhaps OPT or others can give me a good diagnostic process before I have to go to a dealer to try to get an ECM from Polaris?
Will Polaris replace the ECM that was installed on the recall if that is the problem?

Old 10-02-2016, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Possible correction. The reverse lights issue may be a non issue as I am reading that there may be a toggle switch for these "work lights". I just got this machine and am not familiar with this feature.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like another ecm issue even if you had the recall done. I've replaced more than one ecm on the same machine. On some atvs if it happened early enough I could get a second ecm warrantied.On others I couldn't.After 2 years I wouldn't think that you could get another free one. The fan operation is controlled by the ecm along with charging and several other functions plus it has several circuit breakers inside.Constant fan running is usually an ecm fault along with hot light and check engine showing up on the speedo. At the shop we just thought since the ecms were made in China that the first batch of replacement US made Sure power modules wouldn't fail but they did. Now I think some of the silver modules are made in China again.http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2006-PO...BXjmky&vxp=mtr

Old 10-03-2016, 04:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. In your opinion, are these ECM's still a crapshoot? Or is there a better likelihood now of getting a good one?
I believe the ECM is located under a panel in front of the headlight from what I've read. Can you tell me how big the ECM is? I think the module I'm seeing in my machine is plastic. Even though polaris shows it has been replaced already. I wonder where this puts me with Polaris?

Old 10-03-2016, 05:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

About 6 inches wide 4 inches deep and it's a sliver finned module. Not a crap shoot. They either work or they don't.Even though separate sections of the ecm can go out you have to replace the whole thing. If it doesn't charge the battery,usually the ecms fault.If the fan is on constantly the ecm is what triggers it along with containing the hot light signal for the speedo.If both of these are on when the machine is cold,then another ecm has bit the dust. Don't think it would be worth the effort on contacting Polaris after 2 years. Much simpler on earlier models that had a separate regulator and radiator sensor that triggered the fan. Just too many things that the ecm has to control.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I see it has been replaced. I spoke with Polaris. They may or may not work with me on a replacement. But I must have a dealer service Dept. diagnose it and reach out to them. That's what I'll do. I'll update this thread with what they find and if Polaris gets involved in a replacement. Thanks again.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default No warranty ECM replacement

I just found out that Polaris doesn't replace all 2004 1/2 (50 year edition)ECMs. My serial number wasn't included in recall. It still has original black box. Fan runs with ign off and starts flashes hot about ten seconds after start up even after sitting 12 hours.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:38 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Change it out for the updated one whether Polaris pays for it or not.It can cause more damage or even a fire if you continue with it. Sucks that they got picky on mid year models as the 2004.5 is nothing but an early 2005 model and uses the same parts as it.http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2006-PO...BXjmky&vxp=mtr

Old 10-18-2016, 08:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your input. My machine is in the shop for this problem now. I should have an answer by the end of the week as to the results of their findings. I'll post that here when it's finished being repaired.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Update on my 2005 Sportsman 500. I had put it in the shop to attempt to have Polaris give me another ECM since so little use was put on the recall replacement. It was a gamble. It turns out that Polaris will not help me out. In the mean time, the tech that was looking into the issue wanted to believe it was something other than the ECM. So he wasted a week of my time bringing in another Thermostor, only to find it didn't help. A simple test of the existing one would have shown it was not the problem. The only other component that could be at fault is the ECM, or a short/bad connection in the loop. The tech did not seem willing or able to break out a multimeter. So they are now ordering a new ECM.
I could have followed OPT's advice and ordered one myself to avoid this added cost and lost time, but I thought it was worth the gamble that Polaris would work with me through the dealers request. I lost that bet. Oh well.
Thank you OPT for your help. I look forward to reading more of your advice. Next time I'll follow my gut feeling and do the repairs myself.
I'll update again if there's anything worth reporting on the ECM replacement coming next week.

Quick Reply: 2005 sportsman 500 hot-check engine while cold