Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

shift linkage 2001 Sportsman 500

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 04:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift linkage 2001 Sportsman 500

shift linkage 2001 Sportsman 500

Something does not seem right about our shift linkage.

I have to do some more looking to see exactly where the low range and high range rods attach.

The left side, that should be the the low range rod, is the shorter of the 2 rods, Has a yoke on the end with a bolt through it.

It looks as though if the yoke was removed, the rod end pt#7061013 would not be long enough to reach where it is attached. I also think the left hand thread end is at the gear selector.

Can anybody give me true rod lengths or tell me if the yoke was normal to have on any of these?

I suspect that the rod may have been cut and re-threaded for the yoke - or they had 6 mm yoke and put that on.

Any info would be appreciated.

2001 Polaris SPORTSMAN 500 HO (A01CH50AB) Gear Selector A01ch50aa | Cycle Parts Warehouse

I am assuming this is the gear box that takes 0w40 oil. How does one go about servicing the shifter box?

Old 03-30-2017, 04:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Busy man... Most common problem was linkage end wear over the years along with the shift box component wear.If the previous owner rigged this up,no telling what he's done. Best to order the linkage needed or repair any damage he's done. Then shift ends can be adjusted to drop into the shift box arms. 0w40 is fine in the shift box. Fill to where oil is barely covering the shift shafts. Think it's about time you get a manual that can help.https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail....orkshop-repair Or a Clymer on ebay.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:56 AM
Trailblazer

I have the Polaris Shop manual. A Clymer or similar aftermarket manual and an owners manual. They just miss some of the finer points that you pick up when you actually work on things.

And I know from experience that not everything is covered in manuals.

The manuals for our 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD is a huge 3 book set and there is a lot of stuff I now know that you will never find in the manuals.

I will post pics of what I have. I can't tell by the manuals or the schematics if what I have matches anything.

I didn't know if any of the shift rods ever had anything but the ball joins on each end.

Or if he possibly altered the arm on the shifter. If I take off the yoke and install a new end on the shift rod - it looks like the shift rod will be to short.

I would not hesitate to order what I need. I just want to make sure I am getting what I need.

The nearest Polaris dealer is at least 60 miles one way.

There used to be a Polaris dealer close by - 20 miles or so, but I have not been able to find out who their mechanic was, or if he would even be interested in a side job.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:10 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes post some pics to show what you have. Granted manuals don't go into fine detail or they would cost 200 bucks and would be about 8 inches thick. Plus they can't compensate for previous owners jerry rigging and butchered up modifications.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:57 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Yes post some pics to show what you have. Granted manuals don't go into fine detail or they would cost 200 bucks and would be about 8 inches thick. Plus they can't compensate for previous owners jerry rigging and butchered up modifications.
Apparently that's not the shop manual I got. I thought the one manual I got was supposed to be a Polaris repair manual for this ATV. But it's only a little thicker than the Clymer.

Not 8" thick like you describe. Like my 2 and 3 book sets for the Jeep and old 6.5 diesels.

Do you have a link on where I can buy the big manual for this 2001 Polaris Sportsman 500?

I don't do well with the downloads. To slow of internet here and I have to come back to the computer to look at anything.

I also seem to be able to flip through a book and find stuff faster than I can flip through an online version. - That's why I have the big books for my other vehicles and equipment. - I can't afford new stuff, but the books are usually a good investment.

I just went out to get pictures, but everything was dead. Phone charger got unplugged last night and the camera was dead also. Should be able to get pics in a few minutes
Thanks

Old 03-31-2017, 12:09 PM
Trailblazer

Got some pics. Hopefully they post.

Can you recommend parts to order? I have a low range shift rod pt# 5020824, 2 sets of ends & extra nuts in my cart. I should have O-rings here for the box - if needed.

Is there anything else I might want on hand for changing the fluid in the box

The shifter grinds a little going into gear - but not if I can get the idle down low enough to the point where the engine is just barely running.

Attached Thumbnails shift linkage 2001 Sportsman 500-2001-polaris-shift-rod-pic-5.jpg   shift linkage 2001 Sportsman 500-2001-polaris-shift-rod-pic-4.jpg   shift linkage 2001 Sportsman 500-2001-polaris-shift-rod-pic-3.jpg   shift linkage 2001 Sportsman 500-2001-polaris-shift-rod-pic-2.jpg   shift linkage 2001 Sportsman 500-2001-polaris-shift-rod-pic.jpg  

Old 03-31-2017, 02:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Linkage looks correct.Look at the pic I have showing this.If you're having trouble shifting,place the gear shift lever in neutral. Loosen the 10mm lock nuts on the ball ends at the shift box levers. Remove the bottom nuts holding the linkage arms to the levers and lift them up. Check for excessive play back and forth on the shift lever while it's in neutral.If there is that can be part of the problem. While still in neutral,loosens the ball ends to where they drop straight into the shift box arms with no pull or stress. Tighten the lock nuts on the ball ends,replace the nuts holding the linkage ends to the shift box levers. This may help it shift better.Again i there is a lot of slack in the shift box lever with the linkages removed,this adjustment may not last.You many have replace worn parts in the shift box if still available.A lot of parts are becoming NLA. If you want a real Polaris manual. Used but in good shape. Others I've seen go between 90 bucks and up. 2001 Sporstman 400 / 500 DUSE & HO Service Manual PN 9916581 | eBay

Plus shifting problems can also be clutch related also. If you can shift better with the engine off,clutches and belt could be the main reason.

Attached Thumbnails shift linkage 2001 Sportsman 500-99polarissportsman500_00289.jpg  
Old 03-31-2017, 02:27 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Linkage looks correct.Look at the pic I have showing this.If you're having trouble shifting,place the gear shift lever in neutral. Loosen the 10mm lock nuts on the ball ends at the shift box levers. Remove the bottom nuts holding the linkage arms to the levers and lift them up. Check for excessive play back and forth on the shift lever while it's in neutral.If there is that can be part of the problem. While still in neutral,loosens the ball ends to where they drop straight into the shift box arms with no pull or stress. Tighten the lock nuts on the ball ends,replace the nuts holding the linkage ends to the shift box levers. This may help it shift better.Again i there is a lot of slack in the shift box lever with the linkages removed,this adjustment may not last.You many have replace worn parts in the shift box if still available.A lot of parts are becoming NLA. If you want a real Polaris manual. Used but in good shape. Others I've seen go between 90 bucks and up. 2001 Sporstman 400 / 500 DUSE & HO Service Manual PN 9916581 | eBay

Plus shifting problems can also be clutch related also. If you can shift better with the engine off,clutches and belt could be the main reason.
Your picture does not go far enough to the right. Just to the right of where your picture ends is what I need to see. That is where mine has the yoke instead of the ball end as shown in the schematic.

Correct me if I am wrong but the shift shaft in your picture is the High Range shaft Part # 5020823.

It's my lower shift shaft that has the yoke on the end. You should be able to see it in my pictures. The 2nd, 4th and 5th pictures

If what I have there is normal, I will not order that part.

That is the Polaris manual I have, but it is only about 1" thick or so. Not near as thick as any other factory service manual I have

Old 03-31-2017, 03:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Frame mounting section in the parts breakdown is where you can see how it hooks up. Look at item#6. It's ball end on the linkage rod that goes to the second hole in the shift pivot. If yours is like this,then adjust the linkage like I mentioned earlier to see if it shifts better.

Attached Thumbnails shift linkage 2001 Sportsman 500-4d7debf3baac51c85479f51009d0aa13738940e3.png  
Old 03-31-2017, 03:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I see the yoke on yours. Why it's there,don't know as no 2001 model shows this. I'd just order a new linage and ball ends if you can't adjust the linkage right to where it shifts properly. Plus if you're going into the shift box,order the o-rings for the slides.

Attached Thumbnails shift linkage 2001 Sportsman 500-fa9456c7c9cb8097c9680cabf56bb283b566d54a.png