Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

No spark condition 1999 Sportsman 500 w/ ebs

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 07:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled the fuel lines from the petcock and it was fairly hard to blow air through it, I’m getting a fair amount of fuel through it after blowing it out, I was no able to get any air or fuel through the fuel pump, ordered a new one.....in the mean time would it work to bypass the pump? Or does gravity not flow enough?

Old 11-02-2017, 06:45 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

The carb is higher than the fuel lines at the bottom of the tank because of the way it's designed which is the main reason for a fuel pump. Some fuel may be able to flow into the carb from pressure directly from the tank especially if you have a full tank of fuel,may run ok at lower speeds,but at higher speeds fuel may not be able to catch up with demand.Then you'd have dying,hesitation until the bowl could fill back up with fuel.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

How much vacuum/pressure pulse should I feel coming from the carb to the pump? I can definitely feel it but it feels weak to me.....but I’m also not quite sure how strong it should feel.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:42 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

No set standard on this. Should just be a steady or pulsing stream of fuel.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok! New pump is on and pumping great!!!! Still not getting fuel into the bowl on the carb....I cranked for quite a while verified that I’m getting goo flow through the filter to the carb. I opening the drain screw on the bowl and NOTHING, is it possible that the carb could be plugged up? Should I be able to blow air into the carb with the drain screw out??? Better to rebuild or put an aftermarket replacement carb on if needed??

Old 11-05-2017, 08:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Only thing that could stop fuel flow into the carb would be a stuck needle or float arm. Take the carb off and clean and rebuild it.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shindy-Carb...1Z8smW&vxp=mtr

Old 11-09-2017, 09:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

You sir are 100% correct. Needle valve is stuck, next question! What’s the chances of me getting it free and cleaned without tearing the seals? I really need the quad Saturday, and don’t have time to fully rebuild the carb.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:10 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you have a dealer close by you can replace the #3130668 needle valve assembly. If not,just pull the carb,remove the float pin and float.Clean the needle tip and use a q-tip to clean around and in the seat. Blow air through the seat to make sure it's flowing ok. The seat itself can stay in the carb under the small bracket.This can get you by for the weekend hopefully.

Attached Thumbnails No spark condition 1999 Sportsman 500 w/ ebs-d2a424149c2c715d499d9e3884518b5bcdbd1800.png  
Old 11-14-2017, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, got carb rebuilt and quad is running, how ever I have 2 more issues I need to resolve.

1- Throttle cable sheath vibrates out of where it screws onto the carb causing a high idle, is there any way to remedy this or have to replace the throttle cable?

2- Kill switch and Key are ineffective at shutting down the engine, have to shut off the fuel and wait for it to run dry.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:19 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Try taking up cable slack at the carb,loosen the lock nut adjust the threaded portion out,tighten the lock nut back. Turn the bars side to side to make sure idle doesn't increase. If it does loosen the adjuster. make sure you have 1/8" slack at the throttle lever also. If you can't kill it with the switches make sure the cdi black kill wire is hooked up. If you still can't kill it,then you have a switch or wiring problem from either the ignition switch or left control switch.