Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2014 polaris sportsman 500 h.o carb

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 02:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes kit came with a new jet needle i set it to same length as the old 1 and i reused the float needle and seat and used new air/fuel and main jet that came in new kit

Old 11-04-2018, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

What about the pilot jet? Smaller diameter jet inside carb, very tiny hole in through it? Was it cleaned, replaced? If only cleaned, strip a piece of wire and take one strand of it and run it through the pilot. Never use drill bits. Some torch cleaner tips can work as well.
we always use a low pressure air pump(like a "mity vac" to test whether the float valve is sealing off correctly. Should hold 5 psi for 5 minutes.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

the pilot jet was replaced with new 1 that's the 1 i was asking if it had a adjustment to or was it supposed to be bottomed out. as far as the float valve goes we cleaned it there is no fuel running out the overflow, finally got it to idle half way decent but still really boggy until about half throttle

Old 11-04-2018, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

I think we are talking about 2 different things. The pilot you are talking about, is it inside the carb bowl, or outside? If it's the one inside the bowl, screw it it snug/tight. Is there a brass plug(1/4 in diameter, or close, never measured one) with a tiny hole in it, outside the carb bowl, in a small "tower" directly in front, and it points down. There is the air fuel mixture screw in there and that where the 1.5 turns comes into play.

I'll look for a pic.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

Found this on the net. Writing in red didn't come from me. The "adjuster" is what I'm referring to as the air/fuel mixture screw. They were plugged off with a brass plug from the factory. Seldom do we see machines with them still plugged but it does occur still.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes the 1 on the inside of the bowl is snug that was the 1 i was uncertain of adjustment ....... now then the air/fuel mixture screw is supposed to have 1.5 turns from bottom out right ? there was no plug covering up the screw and yes it is set at 1.5 turns approx. but idles rough almost dies and extreamly boggy until about half throttle then takes off like a missile but will almost die and most of the time does as soon as i let off the throttle

Old 11-04-2018, 04:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

main jet and jet pilot was replaced new does either 1 have a adjustment or are they bottomed out

Old 11-04-2018, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

When you cleaned the carb, did you make sure air, or aerosol carb cleaner, while spraying in the pilot port, came out of the air/fuel port, and also into the bore of the carb? Jet and mixture screw not installed. Sometimes I have seen people clean the jets( or replace them) and there is a blockage in the carb body passages.

Another area that gets overlooked is the ports in the back of the bore. They have function too.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

Main and pilot screw in till snug/tight.

Air/fuel is the only one that you adjust.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

yea used aerosol carb cleaner before putting new parts in hit every hole i could find to make sure there was no blockage ...........didnt want to have to tear it down againlol

Quick Reply: 2014 polaris sportsman 500 h.o carb