Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

OTC Ball joint kit for Polaris question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015 | 08:03 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default OTC Ball joint kit for Polaris question

Hello,

I recently purchased the The OTC 4966 ball joint kit for removal and installation of lower ball joints on models with pressed-in ball joints on the front strut casting found on Polaris and other makes. Advertised as similar to Polaris # 2870871.

Purchased from Amazon.

Upon inspection it appears that the threads inside the large silver bolt (which I assume is supposed to thread onto the old ball joint stud) are not the same as the OEM ball joint on my ATV or the replacement ball joints I have. Does any won know if there is a additional bolt in the correct thread size that I can purchase or exchange for?

Thanks

Brian

Old 04-13-2015 | 11:25 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Kit LOOKS exactly like the oem Polaris set up a I had at the shop.The tall black collar sets on first,then the round spacer with the two holes.The two small bolts tighten these down. Nut slips over the big bolt,bolt goes through the hole and tightens onto the oem ball joint end as far as it can go. Hold the bolt and tighten the nut and the ball joint will pull out. The only thing I can think of is to get a replacement bolt from Spx that fits correctly if you can without having to buy the whole kit. Or send the the $68 kit back to Amazon and get a cheap puller on ebay.http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLARIS-ATV-BALL-JOINT-REMOVAL-TOOL-POLARIS-LOWER-BALL-JOINT-PULLER-TOOL-/380879686756?hash=item58ae32cc64&vxp=mtr Plenty of cheap pullers around along with some "riggin" videos on pulling the joint that people have done. One guy even made his own. Shame that ONE bolt is the problem as the kit you have is a nice one,but does say "similar" to the Polaris kit.This is what would have caught my eye..
Amazon.com: OTC 4966 Ball Joint Service Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: OTC 4966 Ball Joint Service Kit: Automotive

Attached Thumbnails OTC Ball joint kit for Polaris question-img_0485-2.jpg  
Old 04-13-2015 | 11:59 AM
|
Trailblazer

Thanks OPT. Its a nice kit and I have a few friends I can loan it to if it works so hate to send it back … I have a support mail into OTC asking the same question. By the way, any idea what the thread size is on the OEM ball joint? I can take the castle nut to the hardware store and test it on the display, but thought you might know off the top of your head …

Thanks again man

Brian

Old 04-13-2015 | 12:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Off top of my head,no. It's almost bald and memory isn't too good at times either.. All I remember is the out side dimensions of the nut,9/16"(14mm) A good hardware store can help on bolts size and thread pitch when you bring in the nut. Forgot about OTC also as they handle Polaris tools as well as Kent Moore/SPX. Hopefully one or the other can help.

Old 04-14-2015 | 12:31 PM
|
Trailblazer

OPT, I feel your pain man .. I took can't remember what I had for lunch somedays (But I do still have my hair .. LOL) … any who … Just came home from the hardware store and the Ball Joint studs are M10 x 1.00 and the tool from OCT is standard 3/8 x 24 … They have not answered my support e-mail so I plan to call them now …

Thanks again

Brian

Old 04-14-2015 | 12:49 PM
|
Trailblazer

Alas, a call to OTC and there is no other part … oh well … Time to make my own.

Old 04-14-2015 | 08:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Bummer.. Puller bolt must be for the old style ball joints. If you have the resources to make your own puller bolt sounds good enough!

Trending Topics

Old 04-15-2015 | 09:47 AM
|
Trailblazer

OPT Tried to PM you but as I;m new the forum wouldn't let me … Felt this needed saying;

OPT,

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing your knowledge on this forum so freely. I recently purchased a non running (electrical issues) 2004.5 Sportsman 500 HO. Had it not been for the vast amount of information you post here (and a downloaded service manual) I wouldn't have had a chance getting this thing running. People like you are few and far between on internet forums. I personally work as a IT professional (for the past 30 years) and visit/use many web forums, your selflessness and willing to help even raw newbies is rare and should be appreciated by all. Best of luck with the upcoming grand children ( read that in your profile) I certainly do love mine 2, 8, 22 years old…

God Bless

Brian

Old 04-15-2015 | 03:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Thanks.. Praying that he or she is born healthy with all it's fingers and toes.. and doesn't look like "it's" daddy. He got stuck in the birth canal after my wife went through 12 hrs of labor and she had an emergency c section. Doctor brought him out,uncovered him and his head went to a point! Doc said" I've got you a little cone head". Scared me and my mother half to death for a minute until he said a baby's head is like a soft boiled egg and will be back to normal in a couple days. My mother had 8 of us at home and never saw a kid like mine,but guess he turned out ok. Married a pretty girl,I have a beautiful grand daughter plus the "ugly" curse from my family is finally broken..

Old 04-24-2015 | 07:36 AM
|
Trailblazer

So to close out on this question … I ordered a OEM ball joint and its threaded 3/8 x 24 like the OTC tool is setup for. Soooo .. be careful if you have or plan on getting this tool that you ensure the ball joints are standard thread as it seems some of the aftermarket joints are metric and won't work with the tool.

Good riding

Brian

Quick Reply: OTC Ball joint kit for Polaris question