Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Valves or Battery Problems??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valves or Battery Problems??

I have a 2007 sportsman 90Se and it has very little hours on it. My son rode for a while and then only wanted to ride with me, so it sat more than it was rode and has maybe 100hrs on it. Just recently, I pulled it out to clean the dust off and put it up for sale. I noticed when trying to start, it seemed very sluggish and I thought the battery needed to be replaced. I did a load test on battery and it displayed good. However; another friend told me that his was doing the same thing and that the valves needed adjusting. I have adjusted valves on a lawn mower before, but never on an ATV. Can someone give me some pointers to make this job a little easier? I am going to replace battery and possibly go ahead and adjust valves. I wanted to see what everyone's opinion is. Thanks.

JD

Attached Thumbnails Valves or Battery Problems??-atv-1.jpg  
Old 04-19-2016, 12:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Valves set at .002 intake and exhaust..Take the spark plug out,remove the valve caps,rotate the flywheel and watch the intake valve go down and start to come back up. Easier to just stick a straw in the plug hole when doing this and when the straw moves up and just starts to go back down,turn back to tdc. Then you can check/adjust adjust the valves. OR spend the 5 bucks for the manual that I gave you a link for earlier. 2007 Polaris Sportsman 90 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 04-19-2016, 12:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yea, I forgot all about the manual. I did buy that and forgot all about having it. Thanks for the reminder and the help with tdc. I always hate trying to figure out tdc, because I feel like I am doing something wrong. LOL!. Thanks again.

JD

Old 04-19-2016, 01:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

To be honest with you I just used the kick starter to turn the engine over slowly with the plug out,watched the intake valve come back up and knew when to stop.A lot of techs do this on these little ones. Do enough of them and it becomes easy..