Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

04 sportsman 700 keeps dying out....???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 01:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 sportsman 700 keeps dying out....???

I am working on an 04 sportsman 700. came in cause it ran like crap. Someone before had just gone through the carb, i do not know what all they did or didn't do but after taking it apart all looked as it should. Diaphragm looked fine. well the boot was bad so i did that idles great but dies out after a bit. you can choke it and it will start but runs rough and will eventually choke its self out. Let it sit for a bit, fires right back up idles smooth no problems. i don't know where to go.. CDI doesn't seem to be an issue as you can limp it along with choke on and only idle so long with choke on before it chokes out. Tried running fuel directly to the carb bypassing the fuel pump with a spare tank, still no dice. Any ideas? Tips?

Old 06-05-2017, 03:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Depends on if it's an early model(Ducati ignition) or a later model with the Kokusan ignition. Easy to identify the Ducati ignition. The coil and cdi are one unit. If you have the Kokusan you still may have an electrical break down. Best to have the manual.2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 06-06-2017, 09:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

OPT. you are exactly who i was hoping would see this, i have been following other threads and you seem very skilled with these machines. So It is a Kokusan ignition system, i figured this out when i ordered the RMstator upgrade kit and well.. it didn't fit. They *(RM) do not make a CDI for it (i have yet to really search for one either) so im just kind of torn on where to go. Do you think its safe to say its not a CDI issue if it will fire right back up choked once it dies ? When it does die, You will hear the RPMs start to creep up from (i have it set at 1150) to about 1400/1450 and it just quits. Like someone just shut the key off no sputter out or anything. AT FIRST it would start to spit and sputter, now a 2 weeks later...it just straight stops. Pull the choke, fires back up runs like **** but will run if you stay in it. OR let it sit for 5 or 10 and fires up idles fine. but again you will start to hear the RPMs creep up. When it dies IT WILL NOT start unless choked. I know this screams fuel issue but i don't know where else to go... It seems far too responsive for the diaphragm to be bad, petcock had a leak so i replaced that. I just ordered a fuel pump and filter thinking maybe just a gravity feed to the carb from the spare tank wasn't enough pressure to do the job. It is NOT a polaris pump though as they are about 80 to 100 bucks and at this point im shooting in the dark and its not my money that's being spent. I have also ohmed the pulsar coil. On 2000 it reads about 200 cold, thats when it idles just fine, once it died i pulled it back probed and tested it again it was at about 240.. perhaps pulsar coil issue? Im stumped here.. I cant stress enough. when its not warm, damn thing purrs like a kitten. I thought i had the problem solved first go round but as any good mech should do, you want to see what it does when it hits operating temp and sure as hell after a bit.. died out. Also at first i was thinking vapor lock or stator cause it seemed to die right when the fan would kick on so that was operating temp. But now it will die 2 min in at idle or run till the fan kicks on and shuts off then die inbetween fan cycles.. just kinda does what it wants.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

One other thing. Not sure if it matters or not, but this rig is actually manufactured april of 03 but when i called polaris and gave the vin they say its actuall an 04

Old 06-06-2017, 10:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Pull the fuel line from the carb and crank the engine over. Should be a steady stream of fuel from the oem pump.Don't know where you're located but they're cheap on ebay or even amazon if needed. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-Fo...pYXe7z&vxp=mtr If you haven't cleaned the carb out or replaced any worn parts,(especially a worn needle and seat plus jets are clean and open)I'd check that out first to rule out it being a fuel system problem.Carb kits are fairly cheap also. If it continues to act up then that's where the manual comes into play with the trouble shooting guides,electrical resistance checks,etc. That cheap manual can save you a lot of grief and $$. Plus yes it's made in 2003 but considered a 2004 model.