Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

07 Sportsman 500 X2 EFI won't fire...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Sportsman 500 X2 EFI won't fire...

Very good site here and very informative, thanks.

ATV has 125 hrs on it and always run great. Daughter was riding it the other day and it just died. Not sputtered and died, just died. Has not fired up since. It will run while holding a soaked rag at air intake and idles fine. As soon as you hit the throttle it dies again and take the rag away and it dies once the fumes are gone.

Have done the obvious and read everything I can on here to edumacate myself. I'm not a mechanic but do have a lot of common sense and would love to try a few things to fix it before buckling under and taking it to the dealer please.

I see all this stuff about the sensors and harnesses and think I should replace them but cannot tell exactly which ones I want to replace and how you replace them. Do you just splice them in somewhere where they join the main cluster? and which sensors and where to purchase them?

Diagnostic codes 22,41,45 and 47

New plug and yes, it's got good spark.

Always use premium fuel and, yes, it did and does have fuel. Pump does buzz when you turn the ignition on, as well as the clicking at the throttle body. Don't have an adapter to check fuel pressure yet but when you remove the quick connect from the fuel rail fuel pours out.

At a standstill here and really hate to give in to the dealership just yet. Am I on the right track? Any help? Preferably some simple idiotic thing I'm overlooking?

Old 07-02-2017, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, figured it out finally and it was odd.

Finally was able to put the pressure gauge on the fuel pump and got nothing. Seems odd since it primes just fine every time you turn the key. Took out the screws to remove the fuel pump figuring had to replace it and as I'm taking it out saw the pickup tube going out the top slipped out of the clamp holding it into the hose splice to the fuel pump. Pushed it back together, slid the pump back in, turned on the key and bam, 40 psi. So this whole time the pump was working fine, it was just pumping a fountain inside the fuel tank.

Guess I should get another clamp to hold that hose on and hope I can get this thing put back together without too many leftover parts.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Strange things even when you think you seen everything that can possibly happen,something like this comes along.Yes I think a new clamp would be in order. Glad you were able to solve your problem as that's the first one I've heard about doing that,but we all learn something new every day.