Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2005 Trailblazer, hole in crankcase?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Trailblazer, hole in crankcase?

I recently had my 2005 Trailblazer 250 engine rebuilt. (top end, crank bearings, seals, rod bearing etc.). When I got it back yesterday I noticed their is a hole in the crankcase near a bolthead and cylinder head stud. In the picture the engine is sideways and if you zoom in to where the cylinder head stud ends is it looks like someone rounded/grinded that spot to get a socket on the crank bolt. The grinding/rounding looks like it went too far and is now a hole at the bottom of the cylinder head stud....

This looks like it was there long before I had my motor rebuilt and my guy didn't do it.... But my question is, Does anyone know if this will affect anything like compression, oil leaks or is this stud cavity blocked out from the internal parts of the motor?

Thanks for any help.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 Trailblazer, hole in crankcase?-trailblazer-250-crankcase.jpg  
Old 07-14-2017, 01:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Tiny hairline crack on the cylinder also but it's away from the transfer port and cylinder sleeve. Shouldn't hurt anything as long as the engine is running ok and it doesn't crack any further. You can use a little jb weld for peace of mind if you wish on the small case hole.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 Trailblazer, hole in crankcase?-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 07-20-2017, 04:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I didn't see the crack before but when I zoom in I see it now. Will take a better look later when I install it. I have some JB weld I will use. Thanks

Old 07-21-2017, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There in another "better" solution to JB weld...there are several makers of alumiweld...a propane torch and a bit of patience is all that's required...