Polaris Side by Sides Talk about the tough Polaris Sport and Utility

Dirt Wheels RZR VS Rhino Shootout.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirt Wheels RZR VS Rhino Shootout.

Dirt Wheels has again been very critical on the RZR in their latest shootout between the RZR and the Rhino Sport.

The comment that totally blew my hair back was on page 110 when they said:

"At top speed, the RZR hits it's rev limiter at 55mph while the Rhino will only reach 40mph. On long graded roads, this makes the Rhino painfully slow. To make both machines better we wish the Rhino had a ten-mile-an-hour higher top speed and the RZR had a five-mile-an-hour slower top speed."

They did mention that at top speed that they didn't think the RZR was that stable......But speed and acceleration are one of the MAJOR selling points on machines. For them to say that they would both be better if they were the same is insane.

That's like saying that the Scrambler 500 would be better if it were 15mph faster and the Renegade 800 would be better if was 10mph slower....Of course the Scrambler would look better if the advantage was taken away from the Renegade.

Sometimes I really don't follow Dirt Wheel's logic....I have been a faithfull subscriber for 6 years now too.

Yamaha will more than likely come out with a bigger engine to stay competitive. That's what competition brings......improvements.....or they go out of buisness.

As far as the Mags go......Dirt Wheels are getting a lot of strong competition their selves. Honestly I thing that QUAD Magazine is much better and has the best photos in the ATV magazine market.

My wife isn't very keen on the whole centerfold thing though. ha ha

Old 08-28-2007, 11:12 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I gave up on Dirtwheels years ago when they had 350 Rancher vs a 350 Wolverine. They admitted the Wolverine was quicker,fast,lighter,had better brakes and had more suspension travel but those little details were not enough to out do the Rancher!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>They did mention that at top speed that they didn't think the RZR was that stable</end quote></div>

Leave that one up to the buyer, most people do not ride around from point A to Point B at WOT 100%.

A fast bike has the option of going slow, but a slow bike has no other option.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: GregV

(DirtWheels article said[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
"..To make both machines <u>better</u> we wish the Rhino had a ten-mile-an-hour higher top speed and the RZR had a five-mile-an-hour <u>slower</u> top speed."

Sometimes you've got to wonder if these guys just 'say' things like this to jump start more discussions and get their name bandied about; as they sure aren't proofreading this stuff if they don't (I intentionally left out the 'idiot' factor; as you can't believe that somebody would say something like this on purpose).

GregV):
"...They did mention that at top speed that they didn't think the RZR was that stable..."

I have intentionally slowed our Rzr down many times since '03 after a few pucker moments involving overconfidence (bone stock machine save the CDI).
Our out of the crate Rzr causes me to slow down at times simply for the fact that at speeds where the Rhino seemed uncomfortable?...the Rzr does not (which "I" believe ought to scare me...)

"...For them to say that they would both be better if they were the same is insane..."

Agreed.

(GregV):
"...Yamaha will more than likely come out with a bigger engine to stay competitive. That's what competition brings......improvements.....or they go out of buisness..."

They'll do so and I believe Polaris is (at least partly) banking on the fact that nobody has followed them into the much lower center of gravity 50" market to date. The fact is...they got beat up at the largest maintained system out there by the holier-than-thou motorcyclists and every one of the red-headed-step-child atv clubs fighting over 60" trail allowancess...so why in the heck would they build a 'me too' banned (in certain places) rig like everybody else?
They don't have a stand-up community out here to suport reasonable trail widths or even common sense on any issue involving the sport itself...so they're stuck building whatever they may throw against the wall and sticks in the UTV market...which this machine obviously did for good reason.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

People spend unbelievable amounts of money on their Rhino's to make them go faster....I'll bet they all wish they had the power of the RZR.

My wife had ours up on two wheels one time and scarred the crap out of our Daughter.

Me, I've NEVER had it come up on me and I do a lot of aggressive driving. You just have to respect it in the turns.

I am very happy with the width, the shocks, the tires ( the rims need swapped out)......heck, I've even gotten used to the gas pedal.

I don't think I would be happy at all if I spent 10G's on a machine that couldn't climb a little sand hill (Silver Lake) !!

Old 08-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe Polaris should spend more advertising money with Dirt Wheels........then maybe they will catch a break.

You are right though about Polaris not being respected for a long time!!

I think they are headed in the right direction now with theur latest releases. Hopefully they will change a few minds !!

Old 08-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

I've never had it come up on my either (as you say, just simply respect a 50" rig in the turns) and have faith in Polaris also with this new engineering.

Not many Rhino owners out there chiming in here....hey guys, I'm just about as sick as you are that we spent all that money in the aftermarket since '03 also! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-29-2007, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

there might not be many rhino owners chiming in here because this is a polaris ranger and razr thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: GregV

Yamaha will more than likely come out with a bigger engine to stay competitive.</end quote></div>

yamaha will probly come out with a 700 rhino, but they more than likely won't go any bigger because they just lost a multimillion-dollar case on the rhino. also they were probly critical on the rzr because polaris has had a lot of reliability issues. DIRTWHEELS IS NUMBER 1 if you don't like them then *good for* you.

*edited by ATV Connection Moderator*

Old 08-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

well theres a die hard dirt wheels fan, the RZR is supposed to by a fun and fast side by side while the rhino is more of a work horse. and personally alot of people who own and take care of their polaris's dont have any reliability problems. and ya guys i think quad mag is getting to be better, the dirtwheels is kinda plain and old now lol

Old 08-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for breaking the dumbfounded silence on that one...

Quick Reply: Dirt Wheels RZR VS Rhino Shootout.