Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rzr xp 900

is this a good utv for beginer.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The RZR XP 900 is a high performance speed oriented UTV. Not really meant as a work machine as a Polaris Ranger or Can-Am Commander. I have not driven one, only read reviews where reviewers said it has a great ride in all terrains. Not meant for tight wooded trails or trails that have width restrictions like 50" maximums. It's made for rock crawling and wide open areas like sand, dirt roads, etc. If you can drive a car, my guess is you can drive just about any UTV out there. But, if you're intent on going slow I don't know if I'd spend all the cash for one of the high performance UTVs. Might be better off trying out the RZR 570 or 800 if you have width restrictions on your trails. Both machines are 50" wide.

Don't know your riding experience. If you haven't done much, if any, riding I'd recommend taking an ATV safety course. At least they give you an idea of things to watch out for, riding techniques, and safely riding. I'd also recommend giving all the machines you might think about a test ride if possible. Or you could find a place that rents what you're interested in and try the machine out for a day.

Do you have any friends or neighbors that own them? See if they'd be up to letting you drive their machine with them coaching you on technique.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:13 AM
Pro Rider
Old 04-14-2013, 04:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any good dealer will have some demos available for a test drive. Try a few different models and definitely take an ATV safety course (free when you buy one from a dealer or contact your state's DNR for info on courses).

Also, to piggyback on what Moose said, the machine you choose to buy should fit how you plan to ride. The 900 is one bada$$ ride and I'd love to own one but most of the trails I ride were made by atv's and are too tight in many places for the 900 to fit.

Doesn't really matter which ride you choose as far as safety for a beginner. Big thing to remember is your right foot is the biggest indicator on safety/carnage. A heavy foot/careless riding will get you in trouble whether your riding a 170 or a 900.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

See if you have any friends who can help you try one out. I even suggest renting one for the day. Spending a few hundred dollars to see if it is something you really want is well worth the money.;