Polaris Side by Sides Talk about the tough Polaris Sport and Utility

I have ranger ignition problems for old Polaris tech or any other expert.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 07:11 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have ranger ignition problems for old Polaris tech or any other expert.

This is the first time I've been logged on in 10 years. Anyway I have a 2000 ranger 6x6 500 that I just traded for 2 weeks ago. It sat for a while die to the crank seal falling out but it fire up with the old gas and drove onto the trailer. I didn't run it long due the to the oil leak. When I got it home I pressure washed the hell out of it before attempting to fire it up and offload the trailer. It hadn't started since then, it just backfires from the carb so I put a kit in it and flushed the fuel system. I repaired the crank seal and tried to start and it still backfires out the carb. It is for sure getting fuel, I've changed the plug, and checked valves, timing and spark. Compression is at 155psi. The flywheel key is intact and the exhaust can lobe looks to be in good shape. Sometimes when I turn the key off it will backfire through the carb even though the motor isn't even turning. I even changed the igniting switch thinking it was shorted out with no luck. I can't see what the issue is but I'm guessing the pressure washing messed with some electrical somewhere. I'm trying to get this running again so I can sell it.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd check the gap on the pick up coil to the flywheel along with pulling stator connectors to the cdi,coil,regulator,etc and blowing out any moisture that may have gotten in when you pressure washed it.Use electrical grease on the connections.Same for the stator itself as you may need to pull the flywheel to be able to clean it. 155 pounds of compression is on the high side as most have between 55-95 psi or so because of the decompression device on the cam. You might want to check that the device is working ok as if the spring is damaged it can cause problems starting,back firing,ect same as a worn cam can do. I wouldn't rule out a cam just because it may look ok either. Simple lobe measurement can tell if it's in good shape or not. If you still have problems,but you're sure you eliminated the carb or any fuel supply problem,you might need to check the stator out put itself along with the other checks,tests in the manual.If you don't have one,here's a cheap one.2000 Polaris Ranger Service Manual PDF Download

Old 02-07-2018, 08:23 PM
Range Rover

I figured it was pretty high on compression, when I looked at the can lobe I didn't see a steel ball like the sportsman's have. The pickup coil is as close at go which is roughly. 032"

Old 02-07-2018, 08:25 PM
Range Rover

Also it has 3 modules. One is the cdi and the other is the regulator but what's the smaller flat square box? Thanks for that manual btw.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:34 PM
Range Rover

Will a 90s sportsman cam work if it does end up being that?

Old 02-07-2018, 08:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The other one is the hub control module. As far as cams,if you end up needing one they're cheap now including the exhaust rocker arm for as little as 100 bucks. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Ran...BSeTMN&vxp=mtr Either ebay or Amazon.

Attached Thumbnails I have ranger ignition problems for old Polaris tech or any other expert.-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 05-11-2018, 12:22 AM
Range Rover

So I let it sit a few months and decided to sell it as is. I was going to go through the wiring for the customer that bought it and diagnose it but I guess whatever it was that got wet in the wash finally dried out over time because it runs great now like nothing ever happened.