Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Is Polaris 500 H.O. Reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 10:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Polaris 500 H.O. Reliable?

You all have got me thinking hard about the Polaris 500 now. I have ridden two and liked them both. I just have never owned a belt driven four-wheeler. My buddy says they have been on snow mobiles for years. Harleys use belts too. So, I guess they can't be all that bad. He also said that the Polaris transmission would be a lot cheaper to fix than a honda's transmission. I would say with good care neither would tear up though. What is the top speed on the sp500 HO? I rode a 500 and a 700 sportsman that two different friends had bought. But, I just rode them for a few minutes on a road. I really couldn't tell much difference between them. But again I didn't have them in real riding conditions.
Thanks for all the post.

Old 05-20-2003, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

No one knows how the Rancher AT is going to hold up long term, but the Rubicons seem to have a good reliability record, and they are supposed to use a very similar driveline, so I sure wouldn't be afraid of them.
The Rubicon is a good machine, I would have no qualms about owning one at all.

The 500HO will out-perform both of those machines, and will definately ride smoother than the Rubicon. Polaris has made the 500 for ages, and they really have the bugs worked out of them. The new ones even have greaseless bushings, like the Hondas do, so there is very little greasing involved with them.

If I were buying a machine with the sole intent of driving it the most miles with the least repairs, and wanted 4wd, I would get a Honda Foreman 450, with the manual shift. Solid as a rock, and almost as comfy to sit on.

Really, all makes are so close in reliability anymore, I would hesitate to say one is better than the other. As a rule, the simpler the machine, the less problems it will have. For example, the independant rear suspension of the Sportsman will ride much smoother than the Rubicon, but it has 4 CV boots that can be snagged or torn that the Rubicon doesn't have. The swingarm type suspension of the Rubicon just has less moving parts to wear out. However, to many people, the extra complexity is well worth the comfort and performance advantages.

I think of the 3 machines you mentioned, I would get the one I liked the features of the best.

For example, I have both a Honda 300 2wd, and a Polaris Xplorer 400. The Polaris actually has more miles on it, but a few more repairs. However, except for the brakes, the repairs have been to the 4wd system for the most part. I snagged the CV boot on something and tore it. Not a problem on the Honda because it doesn't have any to tear. 90% of the time, simpler is more reliable.

Farmr

Old 05-20-2003, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think of my HO as a trac-dozer with rubber tires.

Old 05-20-2003, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Heck,

We come down from Michigan to ride at Windrock in Oliver Springs, Tn. There are more and more Sportsmans there. People are finally realizing that Polaris has come a long way with their reliability. The belt system is proven to work, and under normal conditions, will never give you a problem. It has plenty of power, and the ride is second to none. My Dad, Mom, Son and Niece all ride on a 500, I have a Predator. We wouldn't trade our Polaris for ANY other.

There is a dealer in Chattanooga, Tn. He is selling 03 Sportsmans for 5499 and 04 for 5799. That includes sales tax, which you won't have to pay as an out of state buyer. Just have to pay it, if and when you register. Check out Polaris of Chattanooga. On the way back from picking it up, stop by Windrock and ride the awesome 72,000 acres they have to ride. You will be happy you did.

Scott

Old 05-21-2003, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with everyone here, both are good machines but the polaris has a better ride and better performance - more clearance too.

Old 05-21-2003, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

Heck...I am probably the only non-Polaris owner responding to you here. I recently bought a 500cc. atv after lots and lots of research. What I settled with was a Suzuki Vinson. My humble and sincere reccomendation to you is to NOT buy anything until you have had a test drive on a Vinson. Last year which was the first year the Vinson rolled out , it was the editors choice for the year (500 class) in more than a few publications. In reality, there are alot of good machines out there or they couldn't stay in business however, I found NOTHING that could compare overall with the Vinson. Power, handling, climbing or just moving on down the trail. Trust me...its worth a good long look. I was in your shoes at this time last year! Respectfully, Pastor

Old 05-21-2003, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

Pastor, I hope your giving equal time to the honda and yamaha forums, I wouldn't want those guys to feel left out, I think they need to see the light. Seriously, I'm just giving you some ribbing seeing as your in polaris country...

Old 05-21-2003, 05:54 PM
Trailblazer

I appreciate all the information on the post. I looked at a 2004 500 HO today. I really liked it. But, I still haven't made up my mind yet. I'm also trying to sell my 450 before I buy a new one. What is the top speed on the 500 HO on average? My 450 will only go 47 to 48 mph. Thanks for all the post.

Old 05-21-2003, 06:03 PM
Trailblazer

Top speed? add 10 mph to the 450's.

Old 05-21-2003, 07:39 PM
Range Rover

Here's you a Rubicon that comes out of 4wd. A friend of mine has this posted for sale over at ATVT1ME.com. I had to copy and paste his post b/c this forum will not allow links to other forums. He didn't list it in the signature, but I assume it still has the them: 450 front diff for in/out 4wd, detroit gearless locker, Highlifter disk brake kit.

see the sig for all the info.
asking 4500.00 this four wheeler has been used but maintained very well.if a part was worn just alittle bit it got fixed or replaced with genuine honda parts.
i can and will deliver up to 500 miles from south carolina
e-mail me at bullett@bellsouth.net
------------------

2001 RUBICON (3720 miles)26 MUD RUNNERS W/STOCK RIMS,H/L SEALED BEARINGS,WARN MULTI MT AND BUMPER ,PILOT TRAIL LIGHTS,H/L TEMP GUAGE,ARMADILLO FULL SKID PLT,CHAIN SAW MT,
SUPERSTRAPP ISDX,HEATEDGRIPS...

Quick Reply: Is Polaris 500 H.O. Reliable?