Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Is Polaris 500 H.O. Reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 08:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Polaris 500 H.O. Reliable?

I was wondering if anyone has owned both Honda's and Polaris's. I am thinking about getting a new four-wheeler. But, I'm not sure what kind I want. I mostly ride when deer scouting or hunting. I have rode a Polaris 500 HO and have considered one of those. But, I'm afraid they will not hold up like my honda. I have 11,000 miles on it and it still runs and looks great. I want one that comes in and out of four-wheel drive. I have read a post about the four-wheel drive system on Polaris and I have kind of gotten turned off from them. I have also thought about a new HOnda Rancher AT or a Rubicon. Hopefully the new Rubicons will come out of four-wheel drive. Please post your facts and opinions about these fourwheelers. Thanks.

Old 05-20-2003, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have had only good luck with my 500 HO. I also ride a 350 Rancher. I would say a 500 HO is a safe choice. It feels more industrial than a Honda, which isnt a bad thing. Weird

Old 05-20-2003, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

Not to turn you off of the polaris or honda but have you checked into the kawi prairie or yamaha griz 660? All four are awsome brands but i gotta say i love my kawi... gets me everywhere i need to go and back. Has two and four wheel drive. The lockers are also a major plus.. in my opinion. My father in law has had a kawi bayou 400 since the dinasors roamed the earth aid it is still kicken... acutually runs pretty darn good.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Well what ever you decide to get im sure it will suite you well just do your homework and check around!!!

Old 05-20-2003, 09:44 PM
Trailblazer

I have owned a Kawasaki Mojave and a Yamaha Wolverine. Both of these gave me more problems than the hondas I've owned. Maybe I just got lemons. What is the most miles you have seen own a Polaris that is still running good? I have heard alot of good things about the praire. But also some bad things. I guess both are just opinions. Thanks for the post. Keep them coming.

Old 05-20-2003, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

There are plenty of posts that spell all this out. However, we have 3 Sportsman 500's with over 8000 total miles on them in the last 14 months. NO PROBLEMS. Other than changing the oil and brakes. We have had to change a couple of cv boots, but that really just happens. You will not be disappointed.

Scott

Old 05-20-2003, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

I had a honda foreman 350 as my first quad and that thing would just quit running on me out in the trails, I got scard of riding it alone sometimes. I have had 5 Polaris's since and none of them have let me down on the trails, only thing you gotta worry about out there is running out of gas which was my biggest problem. You won't be disapointed.

Old 05-20-2003, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

Het you are way better off with the 500 ho. my grandpa has 1 and it is great! it looks cool 2. some times i wish i had 1 for like hunting and doing work on his farm. he also loves it its good for work u can tow traliors with it and pull stuff cuz it has 4x4. the only disadvantage i would say that it weighs about 800lb[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 05-20-2003, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

Honda makes a good, dependable 4 wheeler, so does Polaris, and most other of the brands. You could get a bad one in any brand. Ride them and then decide. I owned a honda rancher previously, then bought a Polaris 330 magnum and I'll tell you that the honda had more power, but, there is no comparision on the ride, the Polaris had the superior ride and it handled well too. I have recently traded the magnum in for a new 03 Sportsman 600 and absolutey love it. The ride on the sportsman models is even better because of the independent rear suspension. The new 04 Rancher and rincon have the independent rear suspension, but they also have drum and disc brakes, where the Polaris has disc front and rear, something that I personally think is much better, once drum brakes get water or mud in them they are toast and while this shouldn't happen on a new atv it is possible, and will become more likely with age. As far as the 4 wd drive system, I have had no problems with it at all, and you can take it in and out with just a push of a button, which makes it steer when in 2wd easier than the honda. Also the Polaris is a true 4 wheel drive with all 4 wheels pulling, compared to the Honda system that is only a 3 wheel drive system. I'm not cutting down the honda at all, but this is true. If you will look around on this forum you will find a lot of people that have many miles on their polaris with little or no trouble.
Ride them all then decide. With this much of a financial investment, you owe to yourself to be sure.
Try to find a dealer who has them all on the showroom floor, and you can line them up and compare.

Old 05-20-2003, 10:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

My Sportsman was bought in October of 2002 and it has over 8562.06 miles on it in 539 hours. Only problem seems to me is that it is addictive. Oh and it is my job Im a Forest Ranger for NY and I patrol 9,000,000 acres on my own oh and the only Problem is that mine got vandilized a few nights ago but Polaris is their for me. Polaris is willing to give my factory help on paying for the parts cause NY oferd me a Arcticcat to patrol with but I got the Polaris instead so I wouldnt be cought in the middle of nowere with 600lbs of fuel. I missed a payment on my insurance and it was cancelled so I told Polaris and they are going to pay for $2754 of damagesthat were placed upon my bike.

Moral of Story, Buy a Polaris and keep it for life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-20-2003, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

whgere do you part it that it gets vandelized?

Quick Reply: Is Polaris 500 H.O. Reliable?