Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Is Polaris 500 H.O. Reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Polaris 500 H.O. Reliable?

how fast will they go? my 00' non h.o. will go 60 w/ a k&n filter. the h.o.'s have 1 to 2 more more mph, but get there quicker. anything else?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-21-2003, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

I might add that there are a couple companys making a 4wd disconnect for the Rubicon. If you like the bike in every other way, don't let that scare you away. You can try Dirty Howies, or High Lifter for more info.

Farmr

Old 05-22-2003, 08:17 PM
Trailblazer

I took most of your advice. I bought an 04 500 Sportsman. I haven't got to ride it but about 5 minutes. I guess I'll really try it out tomorrow. Since I've never owned a Polaris, is there any recommendations you all have for the first time Polaris owner. I don't know that much about these bikes. I ride on one particular rode that is about as rough as you can get. Should I use Low range in this area. It is not steep. Just big rocks and gulleys. Thanks.

Old 05-22-2003, 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I use low range when Im planning on staying under 12mph and when the terrain is rough. I think it helps keep the belt from wearing as fast.

Thanks

Old 05-22-2003, 10:36 PM
Trailblazer

This might be a dumb question. But, is there a speed that you should stay under in low gear. I was wondering because some places are rough and then smooth, rough and smooth. Thanks,

Old 05-22-2003, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: heck
I took most of your advice. I bought an 04 500 Sportsman. I haven't got to ride it but about 5 minutes. I guess I'll really try it out tomorrow. Since I've never owned a Polaris, is there any recommendations you all have for the first time Polaris owner. I don't know that much about these bikes. I ride on one particular rode that is about as rough as you can get. Should I use Low range in this area. It is not steep. Just big rocks and gulleys. Thanks.
Congrats Heck. I think you made the right choice. Make sure you read the owners manual. Follow the break in procedures carefully. You should go ahead and buy the new oil filter and oil for your first oil change. I would suggest checking and adjusting your rear shocks. Normally, the rears are set at the softest setting. If this is the case, adjust it tighter by two clicks. It makes a big difference. You will need a spanner wrench to do it. If you're going to do your own maintenance, buy a manual. You'll also need a grease gun and grease. We use OMC marine grease. I think it works better than regular grease. Opinions are varied about how often you grease them. We do ours every other trip, or so.

You'll get the feel for using low. If you are pulling, pushing, or going through heavy mud. Also, if you are climbing around on those rocks. This will help on belt wear. There is no need to ride around in low gear, usually.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

Scott

Old 05-22-2003, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

i agree, if you want to put around, pull heavy loads, drive through the deepest mudpits you can find, or climb steep hills, then use low range. when climbing hills, you can use high as long as you are moving before you get to the base of the hill. same thing in the mud, just depends how deep & gooey the stuff is. sometimes low works better & sometimes high. you'll get the hang of it in no time! let us know what you think of it after a few more hours of riding.

Old 05-22-2003, 10:57 PM
Trailblazer

Heck
I would look into the www.heelclicker.com web site. they make a clutch kit that does wonders for your bike. I have a 03 500 HO and put a heelclicker clutch kit in it and wow what a difference. The kit grabs the belt faster and puts more torque to the ground. By not slipping as much, that means less heat build up and longer belt life. I use low range much less now due to virtually no belt slipping. The best add on mod you can get for a 500HO . I hope you like your new ride.
Good luck
Rickster

Old 05-22-2003, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replys. I'll let you know what I think after riding it for a while. I am going to try to ride tomorrow evening.

Old 05-22-2003, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer

Been away 4 a few days, .. was interesting to see all the replies...
1st, congrats on your purchase.. I'm sure you wont be dissapointed. Is your quad reliable????.. hell, yes... for the nay-sayers that say you will burn a belt... doesn't ever happen unless you're in hi-torque situations at low speeds in high range. going thru mud/snow/bogs/muskeg @ low speeds, just put it in low range.... same applies to hill climbing... if you have a head of steam and head up the hill no probs, but if startin from the bottom at a stand-still... why not use low ???? easier on everything...
I've never burned up a belt and dont intend to ever.... hehehe.
Also the choice of quad depends on the type of riding you do... alot of the stuff we go thru is DEEP mud, with tricky side-hilling... i wouldn't EVER be able to get thru some of the stuff we do on a 5-speed quad... often we have to stand both feet on one running board and pull hard to keep the quad from flipping... How can you change gears or operate a clutch when your quad is nearly on it's side?

once again great choice..... I'm sure you'll enjoy

Quick Reply: Is Polaris 500 H.O. Reliable?