Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Will a bad belt cause this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 01:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a bad belt cause this?

I am having a small snafuu with my 2000 Sportsman 500 with 2002 HO motor and I have a question that I know someone in here can answer with absolute certainty. Here is the problem for you folks to diagnose for me. I was climbing sand hills a couple months ago and the tires grabbed, and the engine kept going for a couple seconds. I seen small amount of blue smoke puff out from underneath. It kinda smelled like burnt rubber and hot metal in a way. I had this happen again a few days ago climbing out of a ditch to get back on a road. Since the first time it did this to me I haven't been able to get the machine to release out of any of the gears very easily. It seems to want to crawl all the time once you have engaged the clutch both forward (in H or L) and reverse. When I first engage the trans from Nuetral it does not want to crawl away immediately. When it is trying to crawl it ALWAYS grinds when ya shift out of Either gear direction.
Will a smoked belt cause this, or is it a clutch and sping problem? Lost in Bummerville with a wandering worried mind, Brian

Old 05-21-2003, 07:38 AM
Range Rover

Yah, most likely your belt is burnt. Putting a new belt on it will probably make it all go away.

As for your clutches, it proabaly wouldn't hurt to have them aligned again. I check everyone that I have apart at my shop. I bet about 20 - 30% need aligned again. Even more so, the year 2000 stuff seemed to be even worse yet. More like over 50%.

Old 05-21-2003, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

Nothing against elroy, but I disagree. I don't really believe a belt that has been lightly smoked will cause the creep problem. Do a topic search on "creep", and it will turn up lots. I can't remember, but it seems like one of the clutches needs to be shimmed or something.

Old 05-21-2003, 10:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi again folks. How exactly do ya align the clutches on these things. Special tools needed or what? I know the belt is getting bad, and when I change it soon here i will align things again if needed. I just need specs on what is needed and actual way to do, and how to tell when setup correctly. Can any of you help me with this????? PLEASE!!!!!! Later, Brian

Old 05-21-2003, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

You have to have a clutch alignment tool. Polaris has one, HPD sells one, and probably Hot Seat sells one. Instructions are in the service manual. Use the search feature of this forum..........everything you are asking has lots of informative posts already made on them.

Old 05-21-2003, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

I would say the smoke you saw was the belt, probably wore a spot in it and you will need a new one, as for the creeping, that is caused by the idle being set too high. If the belt is worn it wouyld be less likely to creep because of the wear on the width. Get a new belt, lower the idle a little and see what happens.

Old 05-21-2003, 06:11 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before tearing into the alinement try a new belt and make sure the primary clutch is releasing totally and not binding on the bushings.Remember ALWAYS start with the simple,cheapest first then go to the harder things.

Old 05-21-2003, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with ncscrambler it's creeping because the clutch is engaging= new belt + lower idle.

Old 05-21-2003, 06:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see why you agree with NC, look at those cool icons LOL!!!!!

Old 05-21-2003, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

Hehe, don't you wish you could be that cool instead of being all goofy with your tongue hanging out??? LOL

Quick Reply: Will a bad belt cause this?