Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Heapster gets his Pred to go Pop Pop Pop

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heapster gets his Pred to go Pop Pop Pop

Pop Pop Pop, so THATS what all you guys have been talking about.............after my quad has been running top notch and perfectly jetted pulling strong to the CDI 9000 RPM redline, I finally understand that 6000-7000 RPM popping you all have been describing......YUCK!

My "normal" set-up which pulls hard and strong, at Sea Level altitude, is a 170 main, a carb mount clamp on K&N, raised the carb needle one notch, and the W/B slip on exhaust. Thats it, no other magic airfarce kits or anything.

I had put the stock air snorkel back on before taking it in for some dealer service to make sure it looked stock for warranty repair.

I got it home, and took it for a quick blast down the road, and WTF, it wasn't pulling like it used to and right in the middle of the power band it was really flat and pop pop pop pop stumble pop pop choke pop........

HUH? and then I remembered it now had the stock airbox snorkel, yet I had the 170 main in the carb. It was way rich, and couldn't breathe freely with the clamp on K&N.

So for all those of you with poping problems, you may be running rich.........Everyone seems to be jetting up, yet for some of you higher altitude riders, you may even want to try a 140 or 145 main instead of the stock 150 to see if this will make the popping go away....

Just my observations. Too Rich = Pop Pop Pop.

The 1770 K&N is staying installed, and that with the 170 main makes it a whole new power curve for my sea level riding...Lofts the front end easily and pulls strong and hard till the red-line.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-26-2003, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

I might just be confused, but what does the stock airbox snorkel have to do with the K&N clamp on air filter? Don't you totally bypas the stock airbox with the clamp on? Just wondering. I'm running the stock airbox with the K&N drop in, 5 Uni-Filters and a 160 main with the needle up on notch. I was thinking of going to a 165 to see how it would run with that.

Old 05-27-2003, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

yes it is obviously cauze of too rich jetting,when engine stall,it is too lean or the spark plug is not strong enough (fouled),in stock trim the predator can rev to 9000 rpm very ggod if jetting is fine,but as any other polaris engine,it need air,or it will run slugghish,a too rich jetting can also increase engine speed to hitting rev limiter too soon without producing any more power through the range,it take accurate jetting,anyone tried a thunder products dial-a-jet on those?....

Old 05-27-2003, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

Heap, I commented on this long ago with not much response. Check this out. http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...hreadid=328291

I now run mine with the stock jetting and no snorkle to lean the top end a little more. And its quick, fast and no popping until the rev limiter kicks in.

I bought an airforce kit that I never installed..... and don't need it at all!

Old 05-27-2003, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

oh,oh!! those dang first year quads..

Old 05-27-2003, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

Yah, I hate it when those 500cc first year quads are holding even and steady with 660 cc's of "mature" technology like a Raptor, or that can only come out with "exciting new graphics" like the 14 year old technology like a Banshee........um, you got Flame stickers on the gas tank this year I think.......but were they Dyno tested flames?

Have fun jetting your 2 different carbs with different jets in each too Mr Raptor-san.........

Old 05-27-2003, 10:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Heap you crack me up. Finally got to rip with the 170 and slip-on. Oh baby. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I do have one severe problem though, this black plastic.....well how do I put it, It's um, er, MAGNETIC!! People stare! I feel as though something improper is hanging out. But no, they're just checking out the quad. Wew, wouldn't want to be that drafty. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] New definition to "tank-slapper". Anyone have some ice? hehe

Old 05-27-2003, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

if I had one of those black Predators, there would be something improper hanging out cause I'd be sportin' some MAJOR WOOD. I've run my Baja against a few different Predator's and all I can say is WOW. No effort on the track and straight-line drags are about dead even.

Old 05-27-2003, 10:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Hey, hey, that Baja is one sweet unit too! I've just been having French problems lately. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Great ride!

Old 05-28-2003, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

No doubt, I do like the look of the DS Baja. And the cost over a stock one to me would be worth the extra goodies!

Quick Reply: Heapster gets his Pred to go Pop Pop Pop