Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 02:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman Tricks

Hey I was wondering if anyone has tried to do any tricks on a Sportsman 500 or 600 twin. Ya know like do a wheelie or try to bicycle it or whatever. Ive been tryin but they seem a bit hard. Also Im not sure about bicycling it because of the Sportsmans weight and being able to balance that on 2 wheels. As for a wheelie Ive been able to get it up on a wheelie but I cant hold it for very long and I gotta jump off a hill and pull it back to do one. I wanna know if anyone else has had any success with any of this stuff [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-29-2003, 04:05 PM
Trailblazer
Default Sportsman Tricks

I try to stay away from them type of tricks. I don't think the Sportsman is designed for riding like that. I do give it hell through the trails though. As far as wheelies I jump on my buddies RM125 for them. It's pretty hard to do wheelies with an Automatic...

Old 05-29-2003, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sportsman Tricks

Haven't seen much on a Sportsman, but a buddy of mine can do some pretty madd stuff on a Grizzly. Check out these pictures....

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

Picture 5

I don't have a 4x4, but I've got some pics that might give you some wheelie ideas in my gallery here.

-Josh

Old 05-29-2003, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default Sportsman Tricks

Piranha,

I'll have to say... Those are some impressive pics. I wish I could learn to do that on the Sportsman. I didn't know that was possible with a 4x4 auto.

CHIEF

Old 05-29-2003, 11:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default Sportsman Tricks

ya Ive seen it done before but I cant figure out how the hell to do it. Cuz thats alot of damn weight to be liftin up. If ya could Piranha ask your friend how he does it so ya can let me know. Also how fast is he going when he does em?

Old 05-30-2003, 12:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Sportsman Tricks

Pretty impressive, and all without a helment. Not a great idea with those wheelies

Old 05-30-2003, 12:26 AM
Trailblazer
Default Sportsman Tricks

I agree Id do it with a helmet but to some people they dont like usin a helmet for nothin just like Freestyle bmx people or Skateboarders. But in my opinion Id use a helmet. Still awsome trick though.

Old 05-30-2003, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sportsman Tricks

Thanks for the comments guys.

Mike starts the wheelie from a dead stop pretty much. He stands on the pegs, gasses it, and pulls up on the bars, then when it comes up he sits down and does whatever. He brings it up to the balance point pretty quick so he doesn't need to go very fast, but I bet he could get it rolling pretty fast if he wanted. The day we took those pics we were on a little stretch of road, and he did a wheelie for about a 1/2 a mile before he intentionally set it down. Wheelies are easy on a sport quad, but they gotta be a little trickier on one of those big beasts.

As for the helmet...I wear one just about whenever I get on my quad, even if it's just riding around on the lawn, but I think people can decide for themselves...it's their head at stake.

I gotta get some screen caps of him doing a "cliffhanger" wheelie....He brought it up to a 12 o'clock wheelie (where it scrapes on the rack) and put his feet under the handlebars and let go with his hands...it was pretty sick...hehe

For now, a few other pics can be seen here CLICK HERE .

Anyway, I'll try to get the others up tomorrow to show you.

-Josh

Old 05-30-2003, 02:12 AM
Trailblazer
Default Sportsman Tricks

What pegs are you talkin about? The ones behind the seat? Also whats the weight on a Grizzly? a Sportsman 500 weights about 670lbs So I wanna know if the weight is comparable

Old 05-30-2003, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sportsman Tricks

Originally posted by: Sixxx
What pegs are you talkin about? The ones behind the seat? Also whats the weight on a Grizzly? a Sportsman 500 weights about 670lbs So I wanna know if the weight is comparable
No, the regular foot pegs...I guess they would actually be the floor boards on that quad. I am not sure of the weight, but it's probably right around the same as the Polaris 500 and I am guessing it weighs less than the Polaris 700. I'm also not sure what tires he is running but they are not stock...He said it wheelies a lot better with the stockers.

One other thing I can tell you is that a friend of mine has a Magnum 500 and he can do wheelies standing on the floor boards and pulling up also. He doesn't do them often so I have never seen him really ride one very far as of yet though.

-Josh

Quick Reply: Sportsman Tricks