Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

has anyone put platinum or iridium plugs in there 700sp

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone put platinum or iridium plugs in there 700sp

just wondering if anyone has put platinum or iridium plugs in there sportsman 700, if you have please give me some feedback.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone put platinum or iridium plugs in there 700sp

Re your request for some feedback, I've a TB 330 and earlier today installed a Denso Iridium plug in it due to my local AutoZone not carrying the NGK equivilant, this now appears to have been a blessing in disguise as unbeknown to me at the time the Denso actually has the smaller electrode dia. @ .4 mm compared to the NGK's .6 mm plus it appears it has other features that make it superior in all other areas bar one (service life!) to the NGK see: http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/t...park_plugs.htm

First impressions are easier starting, fired straight up on the choke within virtually the first couple of turns of the starter after having been left standing idle for a couple of weeks, as for riding def. felt improved throttle response wise with the idle smoothed out too.

Denso quote the following re regapping:

Q. Do I need to set the gap?
A. Generally, no. The DENSO Iridium Power plug comes pre-set with a protective sleeve over the firing end, to protect the gap from accidental alteration. DENSO Iridium Power’s ultra-efficient firing power compensates for normally recommended gap settings that are smaller than the pre-set value. In the cases of vehicle modifications (nitrous, turbo-chargers, super-chargers, high power ignition systems, etc.), some adjustments may be desired. Or, if you prefer to remain consistent with factory specifications, you may adjust. However, please be careful not to place any stress on the fine center electrode during adjustment. You could accidentally break off the very hard, and therefore brittle, tip.

I noted the spec. of my IK20 plug (equiv. to NGK BKR6EIX) quoted a factory set gap of .044 in. so duly regapped it to suit my application @.036 in. but as quoted above doooo be very careful as the electrode is mighty thin & brittle and at 12 odd bucks a pop obviously can make for an expensive dud plug!

For finding/cross referencing plug #'s see: http://www.densoiridium.com/find_part.php