Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

predator death

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 04:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default predator death

what jet's you turn wrenches on? Used to work on F-15E's....

Old 06-05-2003, 05:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default predator death

C-5, C-141, C-130, DC-9, DC-10, 727, 757, 747, A319-320, and Russian L-29...along with some warbirds. You were smart picking the fighters, I picked the cargo giants thinking it would help in the commercial side, they couldn't have cared less.

Actually, if you look at a spec sheet comparison, the YZF has 9.1" of front travel, the Predator has 10". The YZF does come stock with the front rezzi's, but for the cost differential, you can add the front rezzi's to the Predator, and when you do, have them remove the top out spacer to even gain another 1" of travel up front for a total of 11".

The rear YZF travel is 10.1". The Predator is 11".

The Predator has the best steering on the market.

Both have nice styling. YZF has some integrated air scoops. The Predator has and advanced modular design.

The YZF has the aluminum swingarm and aluminum upper a-arms. Obviously where the bulk of wt savings was accomplished, but for the remainder of the dollars saved buying the Predator, you should be easily able to shave some pounds with titanium fasteners, lightweight a-arms and swingarm.

Seat height is within .5" of each other.

How strong is the YZF axle? Predator's is par with the aftermarket units.

Does the YZF have stainless braided brakelines? Predator does.

YZF fuel capacity is only 2.6 gallons, Predator 3.25.

YZF almost 12:1 compression...Premium fuel only here. Predator 10.8, runs fine on regular.

Both look nice. Polaris has been standing behind the characteristic first year burps. With the 2001 Raptor, Yamaha didn't....did they learn anything.

Sure are a lot of nice choices out there. Choose your fave, and get ready for a fun summer.

Old 06-05-2003, 05:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default predator death

Holy $H*T, that's a lot of airframes! I loaded F-15's for four years and got out of active Duty and joined the Air Guard. I decided it was better to break the stuff yourself then to work on other people broken stuff and became Aircrew. So I hung up the wrenchs and became an Aerial Gunner on Pavehawks..... Would you believe they pay me to fly around Alaska and sight see? Amazing!

Old 06-05-2003, 05:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default predator death

As for the comparison... I think you're looking at two top machines.

These two will be slugging it out on the track this year. My how our sport has teken off in the past 3 years...... Back in '97 when I got my Banshee it was the only game in town. Then Honda came out with the 400ex in '99 and after the the sceen exploded!

Old 06-05-2003, 05:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default predator death

Gotta love when you get live round fire time! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Can you believe what less than $7000 is getting people. Lot's of technology for the buck. Gotta agree, the two of them will be battling.

Old 06-05-2003, 09:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default predator death

I have to say that I've seen the YZF450 motor bone stock in a bike run at our local 300ft dirt drags. If the owner could keep the front end down the bike would run 4.9's in 300ft and charge hard on top end. Now I know that it wont be a potent in a quad but it should be impressive. Modquad..... Think they were trying to improve on the Rappy's design?

Old 06-05-2003, 12:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default predator death

Bubba, that's hitting the nail on the head in my opinion. Although with the YZF still being 1.5" narrower than the Predator, I'm still wondering about the stability issues. Time will tell, once people get a chance to throw a leg over it. This is definitely setting a stage for a manufacturer's war. Too bad Honda has left their loyals high and dry. Unfortunately all the battle scars they suffered before might have left just enough of a bad taste in their mouths.

Old 06-05-2003, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default predator death

Mod left off 1 big Comparison

350LBS 415LBS
Dump the Electrics and add the kicker and its another 20 lbs. That is alot of weight. 85LBS.

I'd love to see the first track test Cdale VS Predator VS YFZ450.

With this shot fired across the Honda bow, I hope Honda will step up too!

Things are getting very interesting!

Nocando

I don't think death of the Predator more like competition...Death of the 400Ex maybe!

Old 06-05-2003, 01:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default predator death

No, I think if you double check my post I addressed shaving weight is needed on the Predator. With titanium and some carbon fiber components, already been pretty successful in dropping things down. Especially with Polaris coming out with the 440 jug, yup, it's gonna be some great racing. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-05-2003, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default predator death

It is early but I think the predator will hold its own. The new yamaha is going to be very nice. I held out for a year waiting for something new from Yamaha or Honda and gave up and bought my predator. I have no regrets other than it is alittle heavier than I like. The big factor I see in the weight difference is the steel swing arm. Most all others are going with aluminum for weight savings but aluminum isnt always the best under hard racing conditions. I think Polaris did the smart thing by making it steel. I would like for someone to weigh the stock swingarm against one of the aluminum ones to see what the weight saving are. I bet it is amazing.

One other note I bought my predator for $5643 out the door. List price is $6900 for the yammie.

Quick Reply: predator death