Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

99 Scrambler 400 4X4 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 01:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Scrambler 400 4X4 questions

Hey guy's and gal's. New guy here with some questions on a Scrambler I bought for the old lady. From a dead stop the thing will pull real good and start to peter out when it's near full lock up. The Mid and Top end seam to be pretty weak. My question is, When I pulled the belt cover off I noticed they had a Dayco belt on it. I Know when I tried a Dayco on my sled performance went way down. I was just wondering if the Dayco would have the same effect on the quads? Would the belt be causeing it to lock up to quick and rob performance? Also what would a good clutch kit run me and what is recommended? Keeping in mind that my wife will be riding it and doing alot of putting around. Not looking for anything high performance just something that performs well.

Old 06-05-2003, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

It sounds like the problem could be a jetting issue or yes the belt. In general I think the Dayco belt is as good as any others, the problem is, all belts are different and the clutching sometimes have to be tuned correctly to work best with the new belt, there is also a break period of the belt. You could also have worn out springs or other pieces in the clutches. I would recommend a full inspection of the clutches and the belt, make sure it is at least the minimum width and that there are no worn spots. Also, check the CTC distance of the clutches, the clutch alignment, and check for full shift out. Also, make sure the belt is installed correctly with the letters and numbers readable from the side of the machine.

Old 06-05-2003, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

yes,dayco belt suck,try another belt or the secondary clutch is not tuned for that belt,some more shims and the problem should be solved.

Old 06-05-2003, 02:21 PM
Trailblazer

I think i'll try another belt before I tear into the clutches just to see where I stand. Is there a fairly good and cheap clutch kit availible?. I don't believe it's in the jetting because when i pulled the plug she looked right on the money. Nice tan color with no carbon build up. Nice and clean. I will check it periodically to see any changes. When I pulled the belt cover off I didn't even pay attention to which direction the belt was on. I should know better, thats the first thing I look at when I put a belt on my sled. Stupid me, Wheres my sign.

Old 06-05-2003, 02:47 PM
Range Rover

I honestly never look which way the belt on my scrambler came off. I just put it back on. Does it sound/feel like the belt is slipping. That would really be your only reason to replace it. Try and tag in on something with good traction and see if it pulls or slips. My advice would be to fix your problem first before you modify anything else. That will just make your problem even more difficult to solve.

Old 06-05-2003, 03:05 PM
Trailblazer

I had it hooked to the trailer yesterday hauling brush around and the belt never seemed to slip. At a full throttle take off it will lift the front wheels to the point it wants to come over backwards, I'll let up on the gas put the wheels back on the ground and hit the throttle and nothing, Just a weak pull after that.
Maybe I'm just to use to my Banshee.

Old 06-05-2003, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

You know the use to the BANSHEE thing might be dead on.
In stock form there is not a ton of power on top.
You say the belt doesn't seem to be slipping,
A new belt will give you some better feel at first but it won't last long.
If you are familiar with snowmobiles you would already be familiar with the seconday clutch.
If it is wound wrong you performace will suffer, To tight will delay shift out, to loose if will shift out to soon.
As for Belts, for a stock machine the Dayco units are just fine.
If you want to add some extra power to the machine check out the following:

http://www.hotseatperformance.com/

http://www.hpd-inc.com/Index.html

http://rittercycle.com/polaris.htm

http://www.aaenperformance.com/

These are all A1 polaris performace experts and will wake up that 400 in a hurry.

Old 06-05-2003, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

I am in agreeance with everyone's comments, but the belt should be installed in the correct direction and always re-installed in the same direction. The faces of the clutch are angled slightly differently from each other and that is why it is important to put the belt on right. If you were to accidentally install the belt in the wrong direction, you would not get full contact of the belt edge and performance would suffer.

Old 06-05-2003, 06:16 PM
Trailblazer

I can tell you one thing from familiarity, Scramblers are not made for pulling anything.

You will damage the clutch & belt.

Old 06-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like it's not backshifting. Probably worn secondary spring. Maybe preload isn't strong enough. If he's just pulling a garden trailer with brush, that's no different than a 300lb rider or riding 2-up. It's no big deal.

Quick Reply: 99 Scrambler 400 4X4 questions