Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Katie bar the door, Polaris wins TWO shootouts in one issue!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 06:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Katie bar the door, Polaris wins TWO shootouts in one issue!!!

I just got my latest issue of dirtwheels and they has TWO Polaris shootouts, and Polaris won both! Wow, this issue is a keeper! They actually told the truth with out embelishments!

The first shootout was an open class shootout. The Yamaha Raptor, Bombardier DS650, Kawasaki V-Force 700 and the Polaris Predator. The Polaris walked away with the title because it was either the best or in the hunt in each catagory. Only the DS was faster (because of a notchy transmission on the Predator). I'm sure that if the Suzuki or Kawasaki KFX/Z-400 would have been in the test, it would have won, more than likely because it was the cheapest.

They downright "DISSED" the Kawasaki V-Force at nearly every turn because of it's " poor performing automatic transmission" (their words, not mine), too plush suspension, the weight and it wasn't quite as fast as they thought it would be. Perhaps they got the two brands mixed up (Polaris/Kawasaki) or they called it as they saw it.

The second test was cheesy as all heck. It pitted an Bombardier Outlander 400 against a Polaris Scrambler 500. Gee, could they make the comparison much more fair? A sporty, utility quad of smaller displacement, versus a sport quad of bigger displacement. Yep sound fair to me, not!

Old 06-08-2003, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

What issue are you looking at? The new one I just grabbed off the stand was for July and these shootouts were not in there. They did have a shootout between the Predator and the Gas Gas 450. I don't remember them in last month issue either.

Old 06-08-2003, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

It cracks me up when the quad some one thinks should win they are telling the truth! When a different quad wins than what someone thinks they are lieing! Does anyone ever think maybe just maybe people put different values on different things? Maybe they test them in different locations that favor one over the other? Maybe some have big guys testing or maybe small guys? Maybe they got a lousy running unit of one brand. Some value speed and power, some handling. Some like solid and sturdy feeling some prefer light weight. Is any one of these quads that much better that in every situation you could say it is far better than the others?

The people I ride with all have different quads. Predator, Raptor, DS, 250R, LT500, cannibal, 400EX and a Banshee each of these people would place the order different of which they prefer, I bet most would put there quad on top! Would they be lieing? NO. Don't people just get it! Everybody has different likes and dislikes! Sure occationally they mess up facts they are far from perfect, but I see alot of people in here post incorrect facts all the time too!

All I do is take mine for a ride and bam there I have it shootout winner! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Nocando

Old 06-08-2003, 12:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

They're all good. Mike, you still have a subscription? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2003, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

TLD,

Whoops, I just looked at the cover and it said ATV Action, not dirtwheels. Hey what can you expect for posting at four o'clock in the morning, clarity? It's the July 2003 issue too.

RaptorRider,

Like i said in the Kawasaki forum, It amazes me that they even let Polaris have A win, let alone two. Usually they give the win to a Japanese machine on some stupid basis like cost in lieu of performance.

modquad,

I'm letting it expire, so far I'm still getting it. BTW, loved your articles in ATV Sport (the only magazine I'll keep a subscription to due to their unbiased nature).

Old 06-08-2003, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

I dont take everything they say to heart. Not to long ago they were raving about the V-force. I think the shoot out should have been a lot closer then it was. I love the predator and all, but it will be a cold day in hell befor I believe the V-force is only a 3 star machien. Kawasaki put to much work time and effort into that thing to have it be a 3 friggen star machien.I dunno, thats just my 2 cents. It could just be my kawi gene kicking in again.

Old 06-08-2003, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

I wish I had seen this issue and read the article in the store. I just can't beleive that the kawi is that bad a quad. I've wanted one since I first seen how it looked and that hasn't changed just because of what the mag. said.

Old 06-08-2003, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

Mike of the test group do you notice which one is the cheapest? Maybe they still use that philosophy. To die harders speed and performance is huge, to many the bottom line is a big deal. When you can get Predators for 5200-5600 that is allot of bang for your buck!

Nocando

Old 06-08-2003, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

Then yamaha must think they really have something with that new yfz450. Its more then the rappy. I wouldn't put it past yamaha to be capable of builting a quad that puts out 43 rwhp (thats right, isn't it??) in a package weighing 350 lbs. Seems to me Yamaha is very creative with their engins and what even more fastinating is their cosmetics!!

Old 06-08-2003, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

Check out the contradictions from the SAME magazine's April issue:

ATV Action April issue: "The acceleration is staggering, eye-opening, arm-stretching, get-out-of-my-way fast" ATV Action July issue: "The V-Force motor did not impress us"

ATV Action April issue: "The V-Force may be the king of the hills." ATV Action July: "The V-Force is OK on hills as long as its a straight shot."

ATV Action April issue: "The brakes are as powerful as the engine" ATV Action July: "The V-Force's brakes seem overmatched by the weight and speed"

ATV Action April issue: "The V-Force's transmission engages so instantly and solidly we rarely felt like we were missing out on any power or speed by not being able to clutch or shift" ATV Action July issue: "You'll spend some time waiting for the belt tranny to catch up with the revs"

ATV Action April issue: "The suspension is perfect for a spirited trail ride" ATV Action July issue: "It just doesn't give you a good feel for the trail, and that's unsettling.

ATV Action April issue: "This big machine likes big air" ATV Action July issue: "The V-Force is a less-than-desirable flying machine"

ATV Action April issue: "The Kawasaki can cut through or across whoops gracefully" ATV Action July issue: "The V-Force hates aggressive riding in the whoops"

They also said the DS beat the 700 by 7 quadlengths in a 150yd. drag race. LMAO, not in this lifetime.

Quick Reply: Katie bar the door, Polaris wins TWO shootouts in one issue!!!