Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

mickey dunlap/four stroke tech

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mickey dunlap/four stroke tech

i have had some problems with my dealer putting my 530 kit in, they took two weeks to even look at it, now they say they didnt realize that they have to cut the rings to fit , wouldnt that be done already with the kit? and i had the cometic gasket kit with it, but they say that there is only the head gasket, they dont have any thing else, a base gasket i think they said?, i was thinking the kit is just ready to put on when it comes back, whats the deal with cutting the rings?

Old 06-13-2003, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

ok, i am thinking since its a top end kit it wouldnt have a base gasket, not sure then about the rings
but i called that shop last wednesday to ask them specifically to look in the box of parts i gave them to be sure they have everything they need
and they wait until a week and a half later on a friday to look and see they need to order some parts, i am reallly really getting irritated
i had all week off and no riding, i have the weekend off and no riding, this blows[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-13-2003, 12:25 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry to hear your troubles man. My wife works at a Polaris dealer, and well I must say I have had the same type of experiences at their shop. It's pretty frustrating. You would think as mechanics they would know what the heck there talking about, but they don't.

Old 06-13-2003, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

even worse,they dont take appointments, they get to it when they get to it, i really wish they would take an appointment, i knew a week before i brought it in that it would be brought in on a certain day, now two weeks later it is just getting looked at, the shop seems ok,but they just seem a little laid back when most people want their stuff done pronto,

Old 06-13-2003, 12:42 PM
Trailblazer

Well even though my wife works there, and i get discounts, I have often thought of taking it to a smaller mechanics shop, where they take care of you better because they need your busness not because your another number in line.

Old 06-13-2003, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

We only supply the head gasket the base is stock AND you should always check ring end gap.If the dealer or you ever has a problem call me, dont get on here no one knows anything about my products.

Old 06-13-2003, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

sorry, i wasnt really complaining about the product,i am just frustrated with the dealer, he just wasted two weeks , i told him to make sure he had everything last week,then he could have ordered the gasket,
i am just eager to get my predator home,and try out the 530 kit,should be awesome

Old 06-13-2003, 05:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You need to file fit your rings. Any mechanic should know how to do it. Where ever you got the kit find out what they recomend for clearences

Old 06-13-2003, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

thanks, i am just asking this stuff because i just have no idea, i am not a mechanic at all, they are going to cut them they said, i think the main thing is they ordered that gasket they needed, that they should have known they needed last week, they say it will be done monday, i hope to get a few hours riding in on monday night,then change the oil and then let it rip, i talked to my plant manager at polaris about getting a dyno done on it, just interested to see what it does, we arent set up for the predator i dont think because polaris doesnt make the engine, would be nice to be able to get something done though

Old 06-13-2003, 11:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

swen- I was not a "mechanic" at all a few years back. I have gotten pretty good and redoing the top-end, changing cams, jetting and tweaking on stuff. It is a whole new game when you can do a lot of it your self. You will find yourself getting faster and faster. Find you a group of predator riders and go to town. We have about a dozen local built raptors and we get together a couple times a month to play and work on stuff. The more the better. Good luck and have fun. Get it broke in and give a report. Try to find a dyno and post the results.

Quick Reply: mickey dunlap/four stroke tech