Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Introduction - New Polaris owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 11:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction - New Polaris owner

Hi, all. Today a purchased a pair of new Polaris ATVs for the family - a Scrambler 50 for my little girls and a Trail Boss 330 for my wife and I. I'm new to ATV's and a search brought up your website. I hope you dont mind if I ask a few questions as I learn the ropes. I was thinking of going with the Trail Blazer 400; but my wife says she doesnt care for the "aggressive" look. Thinking of getting my feet wet and then going back for the TB400 for myself later. I'll be looking to "upgrade" (always do) once I get going; this looks like a great place to ask questions and get answers.

Short Background: I own a few fun websites extremebikini.com (photographer and web designer) and viperalley.com - mostly a car nut - owned three Vipers and lots of 4x4s (currently wife has custom lifted Excursion). Looking to enjoy the offroad for a while.

I hope I'm in the right place. If not - flame me off.... lol

Cheers!

Old 06-14-2003, 11:57 PM
Range Rover

your in the right place viper people here are great my wife rides a 03 trail boss too loves it we all ride wife me and kids i think you will want to get a trail blazer to if you like speed the trail boss isnt real fast but its a good machine for what it is made for

Old 06-15-2003, 12:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

My little girls are 6 and 8. I originally went to buy the 90, but the guy said he couldn't sell me one (federal law?). Said I would need to bring a 12 year old for orientation, otherwise he could only sell me the 50. I guess that is okay, although I was concerned they might outgrow the 50 too soon. Opinions?

I used to trail ride on a Yamaha XT550 a long time back. I'm mid-30's, so not ready to break any arms or race the kids around the farm. I thought the TB330 was a good value to get started and if I really enjoy it, could buy myself something more "aggressive" later. The wife likes the TB330, so figure wouldnt be a waste as she would keep that regardless.

I live in Northern Virginia - hoping to try and find some places to ride other than our in-laws farm near Lake Anna.

Oh, and my name is Michael.

Old 06-15-2003, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

lol, i still can't get over why people walk in and voluntarily tell the dealer their child is under 12, or under 16.

Old 06-15-2003, 12:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, that assumes we know there is a law telling us what we can buy based on our kids age. lol

Chalk that one up to a learning experience!

Old 06-15-2003, 10:32 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for the 400 you cant beat that motor for power but it does need a pipe and clutch kit to make it really turn on.As for the 50cc your daughter will soon tire of the no power and want to keep up with mom and dad.Go to at least a 90cc after she learns to ride the 50.

Old 06-15-2003, 10:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Mike,welcome aboard!!!! I started my wife on a Trailboss 325 a few years ago and now she has a Screaming 250R and a modded Scrambler. Be careful, the ATV bug will bite you hard and it is extremely fun because the whole family can do it together. If you dont mind the 2 strokes, go with the TB400. When you get tired of the power or want more you can get as much as you want. There is a way to get right at 100hp on alcohol if you so wish. But in stock form the only thing really different is to keep the oil injector tank full and have fun. They are plenty fast in stock form and are a blast. I still keep 2 of them for the trail riding and will always use the auto for that. There are also plenty of helpful people here and all you have to do is ask. Bubba

Old 06-15-2003, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

I'll second what Bubba said. My wife started out with a Trail Boss 325 and the very next day she wanted to trade it in for a 400 Scrambler like mine. We didn't right off cause of the depreciation. We waited 6 months and when for the 50th time she got stuck in the sand she said no more we bought her a 400. If we wouldn't have rode in the sand all the time the Trail boss probably would still be in the garage. The 400 is a blast to ride and highly recommend it for almost any kind of riding. Welcome aboard and don't be shy to ask questions cause that is what this forum is all about.

Old 06-15-2003, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

First I'd like to say how nice it is to have some a warm welcome. So many boards suffer from rudeness and this is a breath of fresh air.

Second, thanks for all the info! I think the TB will be perfect for my wife, but I'll probably look for something a little more aggressive. I hope to do some trail riding - although right now we will mostly practice on a 50-acre farm that doesnt have much mud or steep inclines.

Looking forward to hanging out and tlaking shop!

Cheers!

Old 06-15-2003, 04:02 PM
Trailblazer

The 03 Trailblazer 400 is a great choice. My wife loves it. I put on an after market silencer and it is a surprising handfull. It will suprise you once you hit the powerband. I traded in the '01 SP500HO for the '03 SP 600 and what a great upgrade. Welcome to the Polaris family!

Quick Reply: Introduction - New Polaris owner