Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler or warrior

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 02:03 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler or warrior

You were in the exact same boat that I was in. Last summer I purchased a 1993 yamaha warrior, several upgrades done, 11 1/4 comp piston, super trap exhaust, KN filter well you get the picture. It was a fun fachine to do some light trail riding with, but when you get in the mud you might as well be dragging an anchor. I am also a big guy, probably heavier than you I found that the warrior couldn't climb hills worth a dmn without losing power.
I went with a scrambler 400 4x4 2002, It was the best choice I ever made. IT is great in the mud and it still is a very sporty quad with a lot of power. It can be ridin just as aggresively as the warrior on the trails if not more aggresivly. The warrior kicks the scrambler on the track which is no surprise, but every other sporth quad out there beats the warrior onthe track. I would never buy a warrior again It was one headache after another, I don't know how they got the reputation of being a bullet proof quad.

To make a long story short, just get the scrambler, don't even bother test riding it because I know you are going to love it.

Old 06-20-2003, 06:54 AM
Pro Rider

I have both, I weigh 200 lbs and I am 6'3", I prefer the scrambler for all around riding, the warrior is no slouch either, and it is a very comfortable bike to cruise on. I say, go for the Scrammy ! (mines for sale).. ps my Scrammy beats the warrior in a drag race any time.

Old 06-20-2003, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider

I’ve spent lots of seat time on Warriors and I used to own a Scrambler 400 2X4.
Both good machines, but for $500 you can install a HSP trail kit on the Scrambler and have a super fast fun ride. The Warrior is underpowered and there’s just not much you can do about it. It’s a 20 year old 4 stroke that Yamaha has never updated.
The Warriors advantage though is when buying used. There all the same machine old/new and fairly durable. If you’re thinking about the Warrior, just go buy a used one for a song and have fun with it.

Old 06-20-2003, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

The Warrior gets exactly the amount of power that it was designed to get. It's a 2 valve, what can you expect? I would take the Warrior for everything except mud. Scramblers are nice, but they don't have much handling.They're fine in straight lines and when you're just cruising down the trail, but try to fit them on tight trails, they can't keep up because they can't fit. My brother's rims are practically destroyed because of having to force it between trees.

Old 06-20-2003, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

i have a 02 scrammy 400 2x4 with just a few small mods and 2 of my friends have warriors with small mods and they cant keep up whats so ever..i smoke them going straight,up hills,
through mud,and in the tight twisties..guess i just learned how to handle it on the tight trails or something..

Old 06-20-2003, 09:03 PM
Trailblazer

I'm not sure what your talking about, because I own a scrambler and I keep up on the trails no problem. In fact I usually lead the pack. As far as Scrambler versus warrior, I don't know much about the warrior. I love my scrambler, because it's got a lot of power, and also has 4x4 for the mountains. I ride in a bit of snow and mud, and the 4x4 is a awsome. I looked at the warrior when I went to buy my ATV, and after checking it out I wanted the one with more zip, and fun. I just wish it was lighter, so it would perform better at the dunes, oh well I guess you can't have everything.

Old 06-20-2003, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

Your riding on trails that a 2-3 inch wider Scrambler cant fit down, are you sure they are trails and not deer paths?
The warrior carries most of its weight on the front wheels and handles like a wet turd frozen to a rock. In my opinion the Warrior is the worst handling quad ever. The Warriors only good attributes are that you can buy one dirt cheep used, and they are fairly durable.
The Scrambler handles like a run away freight train with soft shocks, but its still better then a Warrior.

Old 06-21-2003, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

My bone stock 98 Scram 500 4x4 repeatedly beat down a Warrior racing back and forth across a pit. Scrawny kid must have had a hundred pounds less weight than me, plus his machine was lighter too. A Warrior is a decent entry level teenagers ride, but the Scrambler is just way more machine. And who couldn't use 4 wheel drive?
I don't even think the Yamaha has reverse, does it?

Old 06-21-2003, 07:47 AM
vig
Range Rover

The warrior is a fun machine to ride, but when you get it in the tight trails in the woods it is a royal pain in the but, on-off-on-off with the clutch keeping it from stalling. Then if you get it stuck,put in neutral and pull-pull-pull. at least the polaris you can walk it out while using the throttle, and not have to worry about stahlling it. The warrior is a good machine if you like riding the dirt roads, and playing in the sand pits, just stay away from the mud.

Old 06-21-2003, 07:09 PM
ox
Pro Rider

4x4 would be nice but not needed. i am 215 pounds i ride some mud too.

I just sold my Warrior. GREAT machine for fairly dry trails and sand/gravel pits! 40 mpg too! If you want to jump, this is the machine. Very well balanced, and like a cat, it likes to land on all four!

The Warrior absolutely sucks in the mud. If you are a tall and/or big guy, you will REALLY appreciate the Pol over the machine built by Japs. Lets face it, they didn't gat all the steroids from USA beef like we do. The POl is much better to stand up on towards the end of a long ride. I think the big guys look ridiculous on those little Yammi's. LOL!

I still have a 400 4X4 scrambler. Personally I would rather have a 4 stroke as I am not into hoping it up. I took the racks off the Warrior and finagled them onto the Scrambler, and I like it better than the Pol racks.

4X4 and built for taller/bigger fellas are two major plusses of the Pol. The Yammi is almost bulletproof.

Quick Reply: Scrambler or warrior