Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator broken steering stem plate

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 11:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator broken steering stem plate

Has anyone wrecked their predator and bent their steering stem? If so, did the flat metal plate with holes cut in it bend? If so, how did you repair it. I rolled it and it bent the stem, handlebars, and that flat plate. I need a repair solution other than buying a new frame!! Thanks!

Chris Bugg

Old 06-24-2003, 12:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I think that pudljumpr bent his steering stem awhile back during a harescrambler. But I'll let him fill you in on the details
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2003, 12:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Yea, I don't think he bent the stem support though. You should be able to jig things up with a new, straight stem....once again the triangular support gusset routine.

Old 06-24-2003, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, been there-wrecked that...you know the slogan. Are talking about the metal plate on the top of the assembly that the top bushing bolts into? Cause yeah, I bent the snot outta that...it's pretty cheesy. Just get yourself a big channellock, or adjustable wrench, or a small hammer(remove the gas tank for easier workability) and just bent it back. It folded the creases a little too, but the metal is thin enough, that you should be able to resculpt it without heating it. Maybe buy a new upper bushing holder just so you know where the holes should line up, and that will give you a reference as to how far to bend it back! And oh yeah...CRASHING SUCKS!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2003, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer

I JUST ROLLED MINE LAST WEEKEND, AND DID THE SAME THING. I ORDERED A NEW STEM FROM RATH RACING, HE HAD THEM IN STOCK. THE PLATE GOT ALL BENT UP, I HAMMERED IT BACK OUT STRAIGHT AND TOOK IT TO A MACHINE SHOP AND HAD THEM WELD AND EXTRA PLATE OVER THE OUTSIDE OF IT TO STRENGTHEN IT. THEY CHARGED ME $25. BY THE WAY RATH SAID HIS CDI BOX WILL BE SHIPPING BY THE END OF THE WEEK. HE GOT THEM IN STOCK AND PLANS ON TESTING THEM THIS WEEK.

HOPE THIS HELPS,
RYAN

Old 06-24-2003, 07:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

When you consider the abuse everyone puts these things through.....they sure take a licking. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2003, 12:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

I haven't had very good luck with steering stems either. I wrecked and broke my bottom balljoint, that I just got replaced under warranty two weeks prior, and bent n twisted my steering stem. I got that fixed and the very next ride I bent my steering stem, handlebars, bend my frame were the stem mounts up. I never did this on my 400ex, who knew adding 15hp would make that much of a difference.....he..he..he