Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler or ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 01:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler or ?

I'm hoping you guys can give me some feedback on your experiences...

I'm looking for a quad that is both sporty and can be taken up in the hills. The Scrambler seems almost perfect, although it doesn't have the low gear. Probably 50% of the time I will be doing fast paced sport riding, and the other 50% mountain trail/hill climbing. How is the Scrambler? I know low ground clearance can be a factor, but I'm wiling to accept that for the ability to ride fast, jump, powerslide, etc....things you can't do with a Sportsman.

Some people have also suggested the Prairie 650/700. Can anyone compare these 2 bikes? They say it rides and handles like a sport bike and is very fast, but also has low gear and locking front. It's only 30 pounds heavier than the Scrambler. I personally don't care for the looks of it, but if it's as fast and handles like they say, I may have to consider riding an ugly quad for performance sake.

I've narrowed it to these 2 bikes, but am open to any others you think fit the bill. I know it sounds like I should be buying 2 quads, one sport and one utility, but I'd really like to buy just one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]. Thanks.

Old 07-24-2003, 01:57 PM
Default Scrambler or ?

get a scrambler 400 4by4 or the scrambler 500 4by4 but i would say the 400 because its low maintence, faster, and a 2-stroke. tell us what u choose

Old 07-24-2003, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Scrambler or ?

I have an 03 scrammy and I've haven't had a problem going where my buddy can take his SP500....it make be a slightly different line due to the clearance but I've yet to get left behind......plus I can toast him off the line [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Your riding ideas are the same I had when looking around for a wheeler.....no low gear does kinda suck but doing donuts, until I get dizzy, far outweighs no low gear [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

A 400 is easier to mod (and has more available) but aren't being made anymore......

Old 07-24-2003, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default Scrambler or ?

two strokes need rebuilds more often

Old 07-24-2003, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default Scrambler or ?

4 strokes have more low end, hill climbing, mud throwing torque. I have the 02 500 4x4, and it rocks. Have I gotten it stuck? Yup- But then again, are you truely mudding if you dont get stuck once in a while?

Anyways, I have jumped, climbed super hills, raced, and basically beat the crap out of mine with only 1 torn CV boot by my own recklessness.

I absolutely suggest the 500 4X4. I have modded mine, but even stock it held its own just fine.

Old 07-24-2003, 03:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Scrambler or ?

It you through a clutch kit in there then you will have one bad machine. I love my scram. Yeah, it wont outrun my buddies dirtbikes or DS650, but they are have to sit and watch while I play around on the hills and mud. Not to mention, I can outrun all of them.....................in reverse![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] The scrammy also does great on slow technical trails as well. Its just a great all around ride

Old 07-24-2003, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Scrambler or ?

get an explorer 400 2 stroke 4x4,that is what you need!
it have high range,low range and reverse,it will go ANYWHERE you want,cool 2 stroke sporty ride with enough low torque for mudding,towing anf hillclibing anything you'll want to...

Old 07-24-2003, 04:15 PM
Trailblazer
Default Scrambler or ?

Thanks for all the input so far, keep em coming. Anyone who has ridden both the Scrambler and the Prairie?

2 stroke is out of the question - I want to make sure I can ride it in the future. Colorado will probably have laws by 2006 prohibiting 2 strokes.

Old 07-25-2003, 02:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Scrambler or ?

I have an 02 500 Scrammy 4x4. I want a little more kick in it without the noise of pipes. I spend enough cash messing with my 500xcsp, so this is just something to kill time until the winter. Any ideas?? Clutch I am assuming?? Where can i get it and what should I get? I want some more power and speed, but I dont want to lose the lowe end power I have either......Decisions, decisions...... HELP!!

Old 07-25-2003, 02:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Scrambler or ?

HPD has an aggressive clutch kit that works very well. The also have a Powermaxx exhaust that does add some more low and midrange grunt, but is not too loud. About 93db I believe. I just got their air box mod which I am going to install today. Thats good for 2 hp. A K&N will always help too. A TEAM performance roller secondary clutch is suppose to make a huge difference in the acceleration. I have not personly tried it, but if I had the extra cash laying around, I would DEFINATELY getit.

Quick Reply: Scrambler or ?