Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Walker Evans shocks on a Predator...yeah.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walker Evans shocks on a Predator...yeah.

About the only thing I didn't like about the Predator was the stiff suspension. That's fine for you kids who want to jump over houses but for an old fart like me, I like a smooth ride. Coming from a DS with Works triple rates, I am used to the smooth ride the long travel gives me. But The Predator is lighter and has a lower center of gravity, so it flys, handles and corners much better, and is just as fast.
I've got this new Predator, sitting on the showroom floor, which I have picked out for myself. I've only ridden it briefly, and have it decked out with skids, bumper, handguards, and now a pair of the Walker Evans front shocks. Oh, yeah!!
It looks like the Cross Country package, but I think of it as a Desert Racer package
(As soon as I take it for a real ride I have to buy it.)
The long travel, desert racer style suspension is just right for me and the rocky southwestern mountain trails we ride on. I think I am going to have to go for the rear shock too, because the rear is still pretty darn stiff compared to the front. I am going to relax the preload and see what that does, but I think I need (read NEED) the rear shock too.....

Old 07-31-2003, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

Just alittle advice about the rear Walker Evans shock...take the rear springs off the Fox shock and put them on the Walker Evans shock. I have a complete set of WE's and I had to do this because the rear springs were just to friggen stiff. Most people that I've talked to with WE shocks have all done the same thing. You can also send them back to Walker Evans and they will revalve them to your specs for free.
Also run no preload on the rear springs. With this setup it will alow the quad to squat more,yet still be able to soak up big hits without bottoming.

Old 07-31-2003, 02:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Gotta agree with Ruckus, I finally had a chance to rip on a W/E equipped Predator. Those units are severe duty. If you ride MX, or Baja style sand runs, those would definitely be the ticket. A local racer did what Ruckus suggested about getting them re-valved. He's a happy camper now. What other factory is offering two different options through them for suspension?

Old 07-31-2003, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Geez if that's the case I may just have to try and work with the Fox rear shock and save myself some dough. There's got to be more than just the adjustment on the rezzy, aren't there both rebound and compression adjustments?
Maybe on the shock body?
Anybody liking the Fox rear shock?
I notice plenty of room to make it zero preload, but I want to lighten up the dampening, especially the rebound, which is still real slow.....
Only thing I miss about the DS is the comfy seat....

Old 07-31-2003, 11:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider

This is just my opinion, and thoughts from others. The W/E's are very heavy duty units. If you're racing MX, jumping a lot, or running Baja type riding, the W/E's would be the ticket...these things are meant to be put through some serious paces. For woods, harescramble, and general trails, adding the front rezzi's from Polaris is really one of the best ways to wake up the front end. I was tipped off by someone to make sure to remove the top-out spacer when you get the rezzi's installed. Doing this, you're front shock travel will increase an inch to 11". Either choice on the shocks works great. They did some good testing on this gear.