Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Radiators

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2000 | 06:25 PM
|
Pro Rider

Just recieved a news letter from Polaris about the sure way to bleed the air out of your liquid cooled ATV. Also how to check if you have a defective radiator with out a deflector installed in the core. Check with your local dealer. Could help on the over heating some may be experiencing.

Old 05-24-2000 | 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

Bill
Is this secret information or can it be posted somewhere for the good of the group?

Old 05-24-2000 | 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Chopperbill,

Agree with the previous poster. Important info. Can you scan it and post it, or type it out for all to see? Interested in what years and models are effected.

Thanks, DJ

Old 05-25-2000 | 12:42 PM
|
Pro Rider

For all liguid cooled machines. 1. Park machine on flat surface. Remove cap and top off coolant, idle machine for 5-10 min., until steam is visable in the radiator cap area. 2. Stop engine and let cool for 1-2 min. or until a "glug" is seen in the reservoir bottle dropping the coolant level, indicating that coolant has been pulled into the system from the radiator. 3. Add coolant to the reservoir to replace what has been pulled into the system. 4. Repeat steps 1 and 2 for or five times or until no more coolant is pulled into the system. Total amount may range from 1 cup to 1 pint. 5. If the ATV spews out more coolant than goes in steps 1 and 2 may have to be permormed with the cap on. 6. To test, install the cap and idle machine untill fan comes on. Make sure fan comes on and the hot light dosent come on first. If the hot light comes on before the fan, remove the top radiator hose and insert a long (12") panduit strap or equivalent into the top inlet and down the hose side of the tank to verify the presence of the diversion plate half way down the tank. If the panduit strap goes all the way to the bottom of the tank, the radiator is defective and must be replaced. NOTE: In most cases, elevating the rear of the ATV with a jack 4-6 inches will help immensley. There you have it!

Old 05-25-2000 | 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Is there a certain model Serial # Range this is relivent to I will try to ask the engine erring dept at work today and see what they have to say I will post the results See what you come up with .

Old 05-25-2000 | 01:20 PM
|
Pro Rider

No particular model or serial numbered machines are mentioned, just all liquid cooled machines.

Old 05-25-2000 | 02:28 PM
Pro Rider
Old 05-25-2000 | 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

ALL Polaris radiator's are inheirently crap! Has anyone ever noticed that the return line is at the top of the radiator?

What happens if your coolant drops below that opening?

Would'nt it make more sense to have the return line on the bottom of it?

Old 05-25-2000 | 04:07 PM
Trailblazer

I think the reason the return line is located at the top of the radiator is B/C if you just let the coolant go down from the top of the radiator, it would just go straight down and not go through all of the radiator. But if you push the coolant from the bottom to the top, the coolant covers more surface area of the radiator, cooling the coolant better.

Old 05-25-2000 | 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with A400L. If there was an aftermarket radiator, and it didn't cost as much as a new quad, I would probaly buy one. My radiator was fine until I punctured it, and then caused some more problems with other things, but if it was a better radiator it wouldn't have had these problems, with exception to the puncture.

Quick Reply: Polaris Radiators