Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

need serious opinions PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need serious opinions PLEASE

To make a long story short, my '03 SP700 has been in the shop around 4 months out of the 9 months I have owned it for a coolant leak around the waterpump. It has been to the IDIOT dealer 5 times for this problem, they have changed everything involving the waterpump 2 or 3 times, a number of seal changes and finally the last time the shaft that drives the pump was changed. Now instead of leaking coolant the weephole in the waterpump is leaking engine oil. I am at my wits end not only with the IDIOTS but with my machine as well. Being a Mercedes Tech I have quite a bit of patients when it comes to things mechanical, however not only is my patients gone but so is my confidence in my machine. I'm supposed to take it on vacation to Leadville, CO. in October but I don't feel I can rely it. I have talked to the Polaris customer supervisor and only had my warranty extended through the end of August. I'm seeking some advise and opinions from ya'll. THANX.

Old 08-17-2003, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

I would check into your states vehicle "lemon law". Maybe you can get a new one.

Old 08-17-2003, 11:28 PM
Range Rover

It sounds like the dealer doesn't have help that is competent to change the seal. Not only have they not repaired the coolant leak but have now damaged the oil seal that is behind the water pump seal.
Maybe you have to find another dealer that has a technician that can help you.
To bad your having all the trouble with your 700 when you should be out riding it.

Old 08-17-2003, 11:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a lemon law that requires a dealer to replace a defective product if the same problem HAS NOT be fixed after the 3rd time in for service. This protects the consumer from getting stuck with a lomon product. I would cal Polaris directly, Check exactly what the lemon law protects, and start small claims court proceedings with the dealer. There is NO reason someone cant fix the problem. Now at this point even if it is fixed I would be worried about the engine after it has had many overheating problems. This could be a bigger problem then you think. I am a mechanic at a Toyota dealership and know what the customer can do to protect themselves. You are paying for a product that you cant even drive. They should be able to take care of you. Remember there is a lemon law in affect after the 3rd time it has been in for the same problem.

Old 08-18-2003, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

The engine has never been overheated, but now with the coolant and oil mixing I am worried about the the rest of the cooling system sustaining some type of damage. According to Texas lemon law a dealer has 4 reasonable opportunities with in a 12 month period to rectify the problem. I even told the service supervisor if you have to change the engine doit, but that was before the oil and coolant mixed. Now its going to take alot more work to make things right. I believe the main problem with my machine besides the fact I'm not working on it myself is that it was made on my exwifes birthday. I'm going to talk to attorny friend of mine on Monday to see what my options are. I love my machine and hopefully I will get another one due to this problem. I'ts kinda funny that last week the service manager called me to tell me that they had been having a vehicle theft problem but mine was still there even though someone had stollen the key. Just my luck. They probably senced a problem and said naa.

Old 08-18-2003, 06:10 AM
Range Rover

Hey Big Kid
you say Texas has law that says 4 resonable fixes! Your dealer has seen it 5 times you say. I would be furious as it sounds that you are.
Time to go into the dealer and point out the law to him!
Then walk up to a machine on the floor and point to it and say "I'll take that one!"
Sounds like some real shoddy work going on there. Ask to see all the mechanics credentials and certifications.
How did you pay for the machine when you got it? Credit or cash?
You need to contact a Polaris Customer Rep and the factory because extending a warranty is'nt enough!
there must be some kind of imperfection on the casting where the water pump goes and now oil through the weephole! Thats WHACK! They have added problems to the machine by damaging a oil seal ( like scottaboshia suggested).
Tell the dealer its time for JOHN LAW to step in, but Johnny Law is'nt gonna get you a ride for vacatoin in October, thats the problem there.
Its at the dealer, its the dealers problem, you have paperwork to prove it. You have met your responsibility by paying for it, and you have'nt paid for it to sit in the dealers repair shop while you ride your Cub Cadet lawn mower on the trails, (although the Cub is a nice ride also).
Big Kid, I sure hope ya get this resolved, I myself would be affraid to remove the machine from the shop because then that makes you the responsible party!!

GOOD LUCK Big KId....

Old 08-18-2003, 11:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Talked to the customer service supervisor at Polaris today, and I explained to her the situation this time around. I had spoke to her in the past, she seemed quite conscerned this time but naturally she has to talk to the dealer. I told her I like the Polaris line and that I'm not looking to get a refund of my money, just want a machine that I can rely on. Hopefully she understands and not just act sympathetic because I told her if Polaris, the dealer, and I can't come to an acceptable agreement like replacing my machine I would not have any problem going to court. I told her taking this to court doesn't send a positive image to potental Polaris owners or to returning customers.
By the way HAMMERINHANK I paid for my machine outright so basically I'm stuck. Hopefully they will step up and see that this problem won't go away and neither will I.