Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scramber 500 info..

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 08:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scramber 500 info..

Hi,

I would like more info on the scrambler 500, is it a reliable atv? does it require lots of maintenance? what's the top speed? how's the handling in tight trails? It's a pretty heavy machine but I really like the 4x4 feature on a sport model like this, I drove a Yamaha Wolverine for a few years, I really liked it but it was not powerfull enough, for me anyway...Would you say that the scrambler and Wolverine are similar machine? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-27-2003, 12:57 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The scrambler is a lot more machine than a wolverine is. It has great power and torque. The switchable 4wd is a lot of fun, compared to the Wolv.'s full time 4wd. Plus the Scram has TRUE 4wd. While it is a heavy beast, it is very stable and handles well on tight twisty trails. That is also where the auto comes in handy. I have had very few minor problems with mine, mostly wera and tear. The others were my fault[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I think that is a very reliable machine. Of course you will always have those early monday morning and late Firday night quads, just like everyone else. The top speed is around 63mph. As far as maintance goes, just grease your zirks every few rides, lube your chain, change your fluids, and blow out your clutches a few times a year. If you take care of it then it will take care of you. I would highly recommend a scrambler

Old 08-27-2003, 01:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

How ya doin Jeepwaco....? Ihope you get this reply since e-mailing is a new problem for myself
but in time, I'll figure it out . Anyhow, about the scrambler.... awsome bike, even stock. I've been on my 2001 yellow scrambled-egger since new and only came across two problems. One being a noise coming from my front shocks at the top of the tower mount. Squeeking as the springs turn a little under compression and then at the rear swing arm, there's the same sound.. I'll be taking a closer look at this soon as I've got the plastics off the bike now to look at the top end to see if it needs a little adjusting of the valves. Anyways, second problem and a big one if you like getting wet. Inside the PVT, behind the drive clutch, there's a large inner cover seal. This seal, I,ve been told by friends and a polaris mech. will end up getting chewed by the drive clutch because of the twisting the whole case does through hard riding. Mine is damaged but I can pull my clutch off and fix it....no charge except for 40.00 bucks for seal. I've been told that the new bikes have been given a bracket to fix this twist of the case and for the older bikes, you can done your own custom fix, maybe useing the same bracket, I don"t know yet. You must know by now about water and belts....So besides that, compared to the other boys bikes I hook up with, the scrambler has less repairs, more fun and the allure of wanting too do some stupid stunts on it while other utility riders just sit and watch. If you go sport... go scrambler and hang on brother!!!!!!