Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Oil change mess-up..what went wrong..

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 12:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change mess-up..what went wrong..

I've owned and rode hard a 2001 Scrambler 500,yellow with checkered flag decals and warn winch for 2 yrs now with no problems until my second oil change. My first was quick last year after a big mud ride...just drained oil in tank to check for water....none...so I topped it up and ran good since. This time, oil from tank, crank and filter change...Put it all back and primed the pump by pinching off the vent line leading out of the top like it says in the manual.....Got on the bike for a couple of minutes and then shut down, rolled to a stop, boys came back to see...fired it back up and ran 20 feet, it stalled again... towed it back, stripped it down, checked everything twice, primed oil filter, filled tank up to the top to force oil in, checked feed line at the tank, no blockage. Pulled off return hose from motor, fired up [ it turns over like new but now has a lifter ticking sound....] no oil coming out of return. Asked two dealer mechs and both said I did all I could, must be pump is blocked or broke in side. I'm doing the full terror-down myself and I could use some advise or suggestions on what could have gone bad...Also I've discovered inside the PVT box , behind the drive clutch, the inner seal has been in contact with the clutch causing chew, chew. Dealer mech. told me that, " yes, I've seen this before and some of the newer polarises have been fixed with a bracket to reduce twist in the box...I don't think water got in this way, but you never know cause I've gotten water in there before....hitting water at a high speed did it twice......Any help anyone ?????

Old 08-27-2003, 01:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change mess-up..what went wrong..

It sounds like the oil pump may be broke or clogged. If you don't already have a Polaris service maunual, then you are going to want to get one. Good luck