Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler Clutch buttons

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 11:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler Clutch buttons

I was just wondering how will you know when the clutch buttons need replaceing? I am haveing no problems with my quad just sounds like a good thing to know.
Thanks

Old 09-02-2003, 11:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Im not sure. I just put new HPD aluminum super duty buttons in when I did the clutch kit just to be on the safe side

Old 09-03-2003, 12:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well i ordered my hpd clutch kit and pipe I should have got new buttons o well Do you have to buy the kit at first or what? Thay said it would be in by friday. I have the quad all a part now. Like you said I had to make a run down to sears and get a good snap ring remover and the helix came right out. Thanks again bigbad for your help

Old 09-03-2003, 12:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider

You can put the HPD buttons in at any time. You should be able to see the condition of the buttons when you have the secondary clutch apart. Also, the HPD buttons require you to do a little modification to the clutch, some grinding I believe. The instructions should cover that. If you wanted to, you could always go with Aaen's roller coversion in the future. It is only like $90. Take your time when putting the clutch back together and make sure you got the spring in the right hole and the clutch is wound 1/3 turn, otherwise it will not perform right. Also, heres a tip. When you go to put the clutch back on the shaft, put a LIGHT film of grease on the shaft. That will keep it from rusting on there and make it easier to take off if you need to again. Also, make sure it is in gear, otherwise you will have a heck of a time lining up the splines. Good luck

Old 09-03-2003, 12:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If everything gos to plan and the parts come in on friday i should have it going some time saturday. I will let you know how its gos.

Old 09-03-2003, 12:33 AM
Elite Pro Rider

sound good

Old 09-03-2003, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

Trailrider500, I have a brand new set of the HPD aluminum clutch buttons. I just purchased them for my 500SCR about a month ago. However when I went to the dealer there was a nice brand new 04 700Sp that I came home with instead of the new belt I originally went to get. Let me know if you want them. The kit from HPD is $55.00. You can have them for $40.00. All instructions included in original HPD box.

Old 09-03-2003, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

One side usually wears faster than the other on the drive clutch. Not really an issue too much unless you are riding in sand or mud (loading the clutch alot). Epi has rebuild kits for these I believe. Not too hard to do but you have to have some special tools to press the bushings etc... It's still pretty new so I wouldn't be too worried yet.

Old 09-03-2003, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

your buttons might be worn and you not even know it. i just happened to have my secondary apart for some reason or another and discovered that two of the three buttons were broken off at the tip. i didn't notice any performance loss and didn't know when it happened. from now on anytime i have the clutch cover off i check the buttons just to be safe, keep an eye on your primary buttons as well. if they get worn too far, it will start wearing grooves in the primary. that's my experiance with buttons. hope it helps
steve

Old 09-03-2003, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

where exactly are the buttons? i have had my clutch apart many times but have never noticed them any help would be appreciated

Quick Reply: Scrambler Clutch buttons