Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

600 Sportsman Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003 | 04:31 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 600 Sportsman Problem

I have a problem with my 600 Sportsman. I have lost power. It had a slight problem when new(now has 800 mi.). It seems to be starving for gas. Will run at idle forever with no problem. Revs up once, then just bogs out. Plugs look OK, Throttle adjustment is as recommended. Need advice on how to check for dirt in carb. First time post. I have read the Forum for quite ssome time. Much good info. Thanks to all for any assistance.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 09-11-2003 | 04:40 PM
Trailblazer

Check for anything blocking airflow into your airbox. Also check all vent tubes coming off the carb. Sometimes it's something simple, check everything over real good before you decide to tear into the carb.

Best of luck,

Old 09-11-2003 | 04:54 PM
Trailblazer

Similar problem with my 500 SP turned out to be a loose clamp on the rubber boot between the carb and engine. Check that. Also make sure the gas is fresh and not from that can that's been sitting in your hot garage since April.

Old 09-11-2003 | 04:59 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input. Gas was fresh from the local gas station. I will check the clamp and the air intakes.

Old 09-12-2003 | 12:10 AM
Trailblazer

Mine did something like that too. It was the foam at the top of the air intake between the gas tank and seat. My dealer said it was useless and removed it completely. Mine runs great now.

Old 09-12-2003 | 01:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2003 sportsman 700 and it also is doing the exact same problem, I have had it to a dealer and
they drained carb, ran good again. not long after it acted up again, I was told it was maybe vapour locking since this only does it when good and warm so i rewrapped the fuel lines with factory aluminum
tape that was there and seemed ok, but it is doing it again. I also have had a intermittant stall last winter but never really worried about it. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 09-12-2003 | 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like either a clogged fuel filter of a bad fuel pump. I've never looked at the fuel system on mine, I'm not sure there even is a filter. It might be worth your while to take apart the fuel valve to make sure there's nothing clogging it (happened to a friends 300).

Old 09-12-2003 | 03:06 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the help. I disconnected the fuel line at the carb and had unrestricted flow. The vent lines and air box vents are clear. I still think some dirt in carb. I had been on some rough terrain just prior to this problem surfacing again. I think the dirt has been in the carb and got stirred up and found its way into the main jet. I think I will look at that tomorrow. Any other thoughts will be greatly appreciated. I love this machine. I ride with 650 prairies, 660 Grizzly, 500 and 700 Sportsman and wouldn't trade with any of them. I just want to get this problem behind me.
Thanks again.

Old 09-12-2003 | 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

I think you are close to the problem when you say dirt got in the main jet. My brother's '03 SP 600 did the same thing after about 100 miles. Idled great and ran fine up to about low-mid RPMs, and would then just blubber and just about bog out and die. It would do it when it was cold, hot, whenever. Could not find anything obviously wrong. Checked all the same things that you did and that other reccomend. The only thing I did not do was open the bowl and look at the jets. Well, after a couple more rides and some good bumps the machine suddenly fixed itself. My guess is that some dirt worked itself free. Problem has never come back and it's been flawless since. We ride in so much mud and debris, it would not be hard for debris to get in the carb.

Old 09-14-2003 | 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

It's probably junk in the fuel bowl. My 700 did the same thing. Find the carb vent tube thats routed up by the intake and install a small fuel filter on the end. It will help minimize junk getting into the carb bowl. If you drop the bowl make sure to look into the main jet for blockage. Also, if you remove the carb from the manifold turn the clamp around for easier access next time. The four screws that hold the bowl round easy so first tighten them till you hear them give a small "CLICK" then loosen them. You'll never wreck another bowl screw!!

Quick Reply: 600 Sportsman Problem