Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 06:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Help

Great forum first off! You guys have answer a lot of my questions already!

Here is the problem I am having now..

I just took my 2003 Sportsman 500 into the shop to get the first service. Got it back and now I am noticing a rattle noise when I am going. I try to get this sound to happen will the atv is idling but it wont or doesnt. But when driving it with various positions of the throttle i can hear it.. If i accelerate more it goes away sometimes.. What do you guys think? Is this something I should bring the machine to the shop and have them check out or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Old 09-20-2003, 09:49 PM
Default Need Some Help

theres probably just a loose bolt. had this problem the other weekend while riding, there was a noise only when u were going slow and when u got high rpm's it went away. also it didnt do it when u revved it or at idle so i looked around and it was just a loose bolt on the fenders and i took out the tool kid and fixed it right there and didnt make the noise again.

Old 09-21-2003, 12:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Need Some Help

The same thing happens with mine. When it is neutral I give it some throttle and I dont get the noise... But when moving I hear it.. I will give it a look over and see if I can find a loose bolt. I hope I can find and check all the bolts though! I guess I am just overly paranoid with my machine.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Thanks for the info!!

Old 09-21-2003, 05:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Need Some Help

After two hours of going over every bolt on the whole machine I noticed that the damn dealer when they did my first service (my heat shield had fallen of the day before) they put it on backwards and that was the cause of the rattle.....

Really gives me confidence in them....

Is there someplace you can buy a step by step repair model for a 2003 sportsman? I guess I will learn this stuff as I go but would love to have a guide to help me..

Old 09-23-2003, 08:53 PM
Default Need Some Help

go to your dealer they should be able to sell you one. i got mine right from the dealer the did all the ordering and everything i just picked it up and paid a lot easier than going through all the online bs

Old 09-23-2003, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Need Some Help

Ya just go to the dealer or go to the polaris website and order it there.

Old 09-24-2003, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default Need Some Help

Got a Polaris factory repair manual off of ebay. Same one the dealer was selling for ten bucks less including shipping off ebay. Brand new still in plastic. Give ebay a shot if the dealer is not convienent.