Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sp600 versus Grizz Drag

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 09:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sp600 versus Grizz Drag

Hey everyone,
Just wondering if any of you have seen drags between '03 or '04 stock Grizz and Sp600. Which machine comes out on top after 600ft???

Old 09-21-2003, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

i know the grizz kicked my 500ho but bad

Old 09-22-2003, 01:16 AM
Trailblazer

Hi Braveops,
Thanks for your feedback. A friend of mine has a 500HO and the Grizz is a few bike lengths ahead after 600ft. I tried the sp600 and it does have more pick up than the 500HO but I wonder how it stacks up against the Grizz. My feeling is that it's a close race.
Hope your having a good riding season in B.C. Thankks.

Old 09-22-2003, 08:28 AM
Pro Rider

ya bc riding is good now the back country ban is off just need more time to dial my 400 2 stroke in before it gets to cold i did go against a sp700 that buddy did a demo on i beat him once and beat me once it was maybe 200ft or so not sure in a longer race dealer said after 40mph it would pull away alot but when we raced i was happy ithought the 700 was alot better than that

Old 09-22-2003, 09:46 AM
Trailblazer

Good morning Braveops,
I guess this Summer was bad for you guys. I was out in the Banff area about a month ago. We went rafting on the Kicking Horse river in Golden B.C. Had a blast. People were telling the fines were very high if you got caught in a banned area. They had controlled fires going to kill some bug that was attacking alot of the trees.
I drove accross the country to get to Banff. What a great country we have. Hope to ride an ATV out your way sometime soon. Take care and thanks for your info.

Old 09-23-2003, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

I have an '03 SP600 and my friend/neighbor bought an '03 Grizzley 660 earlier this summer. Before he had a Honda 450 Forman, and I could smoke him. He got tired of being so slow, and having to shift all of the time. We drag race often, mostly with the same results. Remember, the SP600 is 150 pounds heavier!! When we start, I'll get 1/2 to 1 quad length ahead off the bat until about 20 mph, then he slowly pulls past me to about 2-3 lengths and stays there, can't pull away and I can't catch him, until top end where I seem to have about 1/2 mph advantage. If we went on for awhile I would pass, but they are about the same on top end, where my speedometer shows 62 mph, his shows 67 mph. We don't know whose is correct, so we just say they both do about 64.

But when is comes to pulling / dragging something, I stomp him. He was the first to get a winch a couple months ago. He was in garage and I pulled up to his quad, about 10 feet away. with both of us on concrete, I hooked his winch hook to the front of my Polaris, I set my 4-wheel parking brake and told him to reel in the winch. He was ON his quad with both front and rear brakes engaged, I was OFF mine. He drug is Grizz up to my Sportsman, and I was laughing like crazy. (He complained because his garage floor had dirt on it and I was parked outside where it was clean.) So to make it more fair, we both started again but on the clean outside concrete this time, about 15 feet apart, with me on mine this time. The same ting happened again, then he engaged both of his 4wd/diff lok buttons and tried to back up, so I pulled my shifter back to R, flipped my AWD switch, pressed the O/R button and gave some throttle. I backed up without wheelspin and he spun backwards, making about 8 feet of skid marks. He was convinced then. We tried the same thing in my yard about 3 weeks later after I installed my Warn 2500 winch, hooking both of our hooks together. I backed up without wheelspin and he had his tires spinning in reverse while chucking up two strips of sod about 15 feet long. I didn't care about the grass, I liked dragging him around.

Moral of the story: 1) Grizzly 660 might win slightly in drag race (but you can slightly mod Polaris for more accerlation)
2) Sportsman 600 will always win in drag each other contest, no help for Grizz there.

*We both are good in mud and muck, only been 1 instance where he couldn't go where I went, he had to go around.

Besides, the Polaris is Made in the USA, engine is too!!!

Hope this offered some insight.

Old 09-23-2003, 12:26 PM
Trailblazer

Hi there Sp600towtruck,
Thanks for your feedback. That's exactly what I was looking for, a good honest opinion. Good to know there isn't a whole lot of difference in acceleration between the Grizz and Sp600. Impressive considering the Sp600 is alot heavier. I am also surprised (in a very good way) that top end is also about the same. A friend of mine has a Grizz and I just did not want to buy a Sp600 and get smoked by him. I am picking up my Sp600 later this week (Green with black rims). If my friend and his Grizz beats me slightly in a drag race (and I emphasize ''If''), that will bring up his confidence. I will then put a bet on the table in a pulling contest. He will accept blindly, of course, then I'll drag him around like a Dodge Ram pulling a Civic and he will be stunned. I'll keep you posted...
Take care and have fun riding.

Trending Topics

Old 09-23-2003, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

A clutch kit will make a huge diffrence off the line.

Old 09-23-2003, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

Hey lovemud, how is that heelclicker working for you? Did you try any other setups besides HC? How was it to set up?I know waukesha is not far from Aaen in Kenosha.

Old 09-23-2003, 04:39 PM
Trailblazer

My bud has a 03 Grizz and I have a 04 600 Sportsman. We have dragged a number of times and I have never taken him off the start. The Grizz has more snap off the line. We usually go about 150 to 200 yards and he will start off about 2 bike lengths ahead every time but by the end i am catching up very very slowly so if we went on I think I would eventually pull ahead. I do think that a clutch kit would make a world of difference becuase there is a delay off the start on the Sportsman. Drag racing aside I just do not think the grizz can stack up to the 600. No way I would ever go to another utility quad right now. Of course this is what by bud says about his Griz so I guess it all about what you want.

Quick Reply: Sp600 versus Grizz Drag