Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

predator front suspension dilema

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default predator front suspension dilema

I've been riding atv's most of my life but have never raced, nor have owned a quad with much for adjustable suspension.

1st ? : Are the Walker Evans shock worth the money. I plan on getting into mx and cross-country.

2nd? : With the stock suspension, how would you set up the suspension for a guy who weights 267lb. Though, I've been loosing weight and should be down to 220-235 by the time the next season comes around. Also I'm 6'7". I've raced in one race just to figure out what I would need to start off next year and get the work done this winter.

P.S. I'm happy with the power. I actually was even with the front runners until the first turn. Just the suspension tuning that I need to work on. I thought going stiff on the suspension settings would be best, but I was set to stiff.

Anyone with some ideas on setting up my suspension, I.E. starting point for my size, would be appreciated

Old 10-01-2003, 10:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Stryder, the W/E units really shine in the MX arena. A rider in a neighboring district runs them in harescrambles, and is very happy. He did have them revalved, but that's no big deal, and actually very common. Also, Rath has a very nice version of a ZPS setup. A local racer/Polaris Tech has them and has been very satisfied. If I don't switch to the Hot Seat titanium springs, I'll probably go with the Rath setup. Daryl's very smart, and fast.....and a great person to talk to. You could maybe check his site www.rathracing.com and give them a call at their shop.

There has also been some concern about an earlier tip on removing the top-out spacer in the front shocks (when installing rezzi's). Some people have gotten on the net and claimed damage. I know half a dozen locals who have done this with nothing but great results, and the machines are mostly raced. I think the main item of concern is to make sure your suspension is setup so as not to be harshly bottoming out.

Old 10-01-2003, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

I agree, but I'm not sure where I should be starting out with the compresion and rebound. along with how I should have my front set up. Do the W/E units allow you to lower your ride high while keeping some stiff ness in your springs. If I had a good starting point, I could work out the fine details. Just not sure where to start.

Old 10-02-2003, 02:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Probably best to give Rath a call. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] He's da man with da suspension plan.....yea, I'm not quitting my day job.

Old 10-03-2003, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer

If you can find anyone that is good with suspension work, they will set up the valve stack in the shock for you. This can give it more sag, make them stiffer, whatever. I think you would be very happy adding the rezzie's to the factory shocks, and having a more progressive valve stack install. Borrelli Racing in Mendota, IL can do this for you, and I am sure you will be happy. There number is 815-539-6493 ask for Gary, they did my front and rear shocks, and they work great. They charge about $100/shock for the fresh oil, and revalve. They also will set these up for your weight and riding style, including compression, rebound, and preload.

Good Luck,
Ryan