Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

modified banshee vs modified scrambler

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003 | 01:54 PM
jim
|
Pro Rider
Default modified banshee vs modified scrambler

The 2 drag races on tacky smooth, flat dirt road, no gravel, excellent traction, the banshee has aftermarket pipes, high compression head, ported transfer, intake & exaust, 2 in 1 carb, open air box, mine is as far as I can go w/o race porting (check my pics for list of mods) to avoid being reqd to run race gas. 2 races showed the same, once he started in 2nd then he started in 1st. I had, he said a quad length a head of him unitil his 5th gear. Believe me, 5 th gear on a Banshee is really moving. I run the 42-36 helix, I know what people meant when they said the eninge won't make enough power to keep up w/ the faster up shifting helix. What seemed to happen was, when he hit's 5th gear, I seem to quit accellerating for a couple seconds, then it seems to start to rev fast again & then I started accelerating again, right w/ him. When he wound out 6th gear, he started to pull away again. I am SOOOO happy w/ this scramblers performance w/o having to run race gas. I know it always is asked what kind of performance can be expected from these scamblers. Just wanted to let you know. I don't care about the lag in power/acceleration, this is going fast enough for me. Last year he beat me much worst, but that was prior to me adding the race pipe to the scrambler, lightened flywheel & clutch changes. He also made his Banshee faster since last time we raced also so my point is, these last 3 improvements make a BIG difference I think. By the way, he is a very good rider.
Jim Maloney 98 400 Scrambler

Old 10-06-2003 | 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

i like hering about scramblers beating up on modded machines,it makes me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]..

Old 10-06-2003 | 10:04 PM
Range Rover

Nice job Jim,
I hate how people stick there noses up at scramblers and diss them in every way possible, this really disgusts me.... so i really like to hear about stuff like this. One of my riding buddies just got a CRF450 powered hooser racing quad...he brags about it being so fast and tells me its not worth to put money into a scrammy but i think hes so stuck on honda it dosent even pay to listen to them, that and i dont do mx anyway. Thanks a lot for sharing your story Jim this reminds me that srambler are caged monsters...with hidden potential....

nate

Old 10-06-2003 | 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jim,
What gear ratio are you using? It sounds like you are running out of gear. My sport use to do the same thing.
Eddie

Old 10-07-2003 | 01:12 PM
jim
|
Pro Rider

Actually, since it's a 4x4 I can't change the gearing, although, my mecahninc thought there was a way to change the sprocket inside the tranny that runs the front drive shafts but I deciced I don't really care to go any faster than 75+mph or whatever it's going. I use those short Kenda tires so that kind of lowered my gearing even more, the wrong way. Oh well, it was really fun racing such a fast quad & doing so well. I think he was really suprised how well the scrambler ran cause he did a lot more mods to his since a couple years ago when we last raced so he thought it wouldn't even be close. For those of you wondering if you can get the HPD race pipe to work w/ the HPD trail mod, I'm telling you it works great. I know it wasn't designed for it & it would be way faster w/ race porting but not interesed in running race gas.

Old 10-07-2003 | 02:12 PM
CED
Pro Rider

Glad you like it Jim.The fun doubles when you go to the race porting.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-07-2003 | 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

I was told by a polaris mechanic that you can go in the trans on a 4 * 4 and change the gear backlash on the front output shaft to add bigger(larger than stock 22' rear 23' front) tires.

Old 10-07-2003 | 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

that sound an hellish of a good time,that cool,race port that jug and
you should beat him on top end.

Old 10-08-2003 | 01:47 PM
jim
|
Pro Rider

Much thanks to Scramblered & Ced & others for all the help in setting this thing up. I love it. As far a changing gearing, I'd like to run the short small tires but raise the gearing instead of lowering it to get more top end speed. I think it will be a lot of work to do it so maybe I'll just skip this mod change.
Thanks

Old 10-10-2003 | 03:25 AM
Trailblazer

Well I just bought a 2000 400 4x4 that only has an FMF pipe and jetted. ............I know I need an HPD pipe but this came with the bike.......... Either way this thing feels way faster than the stock one I had a few years back so I can only imagine what GOOD pipe would do for this thing. More mods will come with time; clutch kit first. I really like to shift but I gave up my 400EX since I wanted 4 wheel drive but still wanted somthing sporty. Hearing stories like this just makes me like the bike even more since I know how capable it can be. Keep 'em fast!

Quick Reply: modified banshee vs modified scrambler