Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Steering locking up/grabbing when going straight (4x4)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 01:50 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering locking up/grabbing when going straight (4x4)

I just bought a scrambler 2000 400 (4X4). First time I rode it I had no problems other than tie-rod ends being loose. Today I took it riding and noticed some crazy steering going on. When driving straight the steering would grab and dart left or right. I had to fight it all day. Then every so often the steering would bind up where I couldn't turn it one direction when setting still. Upon inspection I noticed my CV boots were shot. Since I did a lot of riding in mud/water I am assuming the CV joints are shot too.

My question is if I replace the CV joints should this fix the problems I listed? I was told by a friend that his started darting/grabbing because the hub fluid was low so this may be part of the problem. I plan on switching to Mobile 1 synthetic ATF since I have read good things about it. But I don't think that would cause the binding up. Any thoughts/help would be appreciated.

Old 10-13-2003, 01:59 AM
Range Rover

my opinion is that you need new hub fluid or more hub fluid. same thing happend to me, but it only pulled to the left so i can imagin what a pain it is. my problems could be momentarily fixed by riding backwards a little (not useing the override button) or turning the wheels till they lock in the direction it had been pulling. but to fix 'er up i'd check into the hub fluid thing.

Old 10-13-2003, 02:06 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks....the only reason I haven't checked it yet is the fact that all my allens are metric. -->I am used to working on the Japanese ATV's and Sportbikes.<--

Old 10-13-2003, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

my 500 does that when in 4x4 in forward and i coast backwards all i do put it in 2 wheel and back up and all is fine it seems to bind realy bad i thought i wrecked the first time it did it

Old 10-13-2003, 02:27 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

change hub fluid using manual (do you have one)

the front end (4x4) is complicated and not typical

do a search,,,this topic has been detailed on other threads

No, just replacing the cv may not help. It is most likely the 4 wheel drive not disengaging properly on one side causing it to pull.

Old 10-13-2003, 02:31 AM
Trailblazer

Any thought on the binding up when turning?

Old 10-13-2003, 02:47 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

it binds up after you have turned?,,,,,,,or it binds up and pulls to one side or the other? ( i assume you mean the second)

the 4x4 not engaging and disengaging properly will cause this grabbing that you refer to

the problem can come from bad/low/too much front hub fluid, or damaged magnets inside the hub, or bad wiring connections going to your hub

do you have a service manual?????

Old 10-13-2003, 02:54 AM
Trailblazer

No service manual though I found some pretty good illustrations online.

The binding happened a couple of times when I was setting still or going extremely slow. Both in 4 and 2wd. It just would not turn left unless I moved forward about a foot. Another time it would not turn right when I was manuvering very slowly through some tight trees. It never locks at speed....luckily!

Old 10-13-2003, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider

Make sure all tires are properlly inflated and the same type. 4psi in front and 3psi in back. Fronts should be 23's and rears should be 22's. It is generally best to stick with the same brand front and back. Change hub fluid and fill correctlly. It grabs beacuase one side is staying ingaged and the other is not or one side is engaging and the other not.

Old 10-13-2003, 03:20 AM
Trailblazer

Currently it has the stock tires on it which are almost bald but properly inflated.....Mudlites will be on it this week.

Quick Reply: Steering locking up/grabbing when going straight (4x4)