Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need Help. I want to lower my scrambler so i can run on the street!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help. I want to lower my scrambler so i can run on the street!!

Ok

Just looking for anyones suggestions cause i cant really find much info. I would like to set up my scrambler 400 for pavement. Alot of guys go riding on the street around here and this thing is just scarey on turns the way it is now. So far all i could think of was to get some smaller or lower profile tires maybe with a street tread design and i saw one place had a front roll bar that i guess is used for flattrack racing so i assume this owuld help to. Any suggestions? And how do i lower this thing? does anyone make shorter springs etc?

ok guys, give me your wildest suggestions, go for it

I'm sure most of you can figure out why id want a fast, tight handling quad if im on pavement so ill leave that alone.

Thanks guys

Old 10-22-2003, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

wow
everyones looking but not one of you has any ideas or suggestions??

Old 10-22-2003, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

well first i wanna ask is it legal to ride on the streets?smaller tires will lower it quite the bit,put some 20's on it that should lower you a couple inches..you could also mess around with cutting off your strut mounts and making some new ones that are higher on the machine and a smaller shock.

Old 10-22-2003, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

First off i'll say your nuts..riding on the road is illegal, at least in my area it is...So i'll go on to say your nuts to want to set up a quad to drive on public roads..even more so since you want to drive FAST on em..
BUT i know nothing about your area or whatever, it may be alright, maybe theres no traffic on the roads..so i'll leave it alone

As far as driving on the road..yeah street tires will help. Regular quad tires are TOO grippy for road use. the other problem is that we have a locked rear end. This causes that grabby feeling in the rear when you want to turn. I beleive the technical term is "Crabbing". Basically its your outside wheel wanting to turn more then your inside one. It can make the quad feel VERY squirmish when cornering. Regular tires help somewhat, but not enough. Plus theres no real way to get around the locked rear...SO your stuck with it.

If i where you, i woudl go LOW and WIDE! Almost like a TT setup. Not sure of who makes products for the scrambler to do this..

But again, i think your nuts..lol..just make sure none of my family memebers are on the road when your coming around the corner at 50+mph. (again..if its ok in your area..disreguard!)

Old 10-23-2003, 01:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

so what exactly do they do to the tt quads? i guess thats what im trying to mimic. Oh, and theres almost no traffic around here at 2 in the morning when everyone goes out. What tires should i use? should i go for something sticky or something a little harder so it will drift??

Old 10-23-2003, 01:48 AM
EAB
Pro Rider

Check this out http://www.hpd-inc.com/HPDinACTION/photo1_JPG.html from HPD.

Old 10-24-2003, 05:03 AM
Pro Rider

try cutting the springs if you dont need that much suspension travel or you could raise the upper strut mounts which may involve some fender modifications, as for the rear, look around to see if a shock made for another quad will work that comes stock shorter, or, yet again, you could just cut the springs, its your choice

Trending Topics

Old 10-24-2003, 10:45 AM
Range Rover

Here in AZ we can rid on the streets and if you want to set it up give me a call. You will have to put shorter front springs in it and then you will need shorter front a arms that I make out of chromemolly. then on the rear you will need to do the same all of this will make your quad handle like a dream on the street. I run riken tires on the front and goodyears on the rear or you can run Hoosier dirt track tires. like I have on my front page of my web page.
AZ BAD BOYZ 602-696-5875
LinkAZ BAD BOYZ

Old 10-24-2003, 01:02 PM
Trailblazer

One of the first things i'd do if i were you would be to get new rims with less backspacing. Depending on how little backspacing you go with, you could easily make the trackwidth maybe 4" wider which would give you a ton more stability. If you don't want to do that, get some wheel-spacers to make it wider...but be careful which ones you get, some are junk and unsafe.

Basically three things will make that thing ride better on the street: making it wider, lowering the center of gravity, and stiffening the suspension. Making it wider is probably the cheapest and easiest and probably the most effective as well.

-Ron-