Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

who's thinking of junkin the predator??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who's thinking of junkin the predator??

besides me??? maybe red or blue soon???[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 10-28-2003, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

Why? Are you having problems. It may not be the best mx quad out there but for the sport trailriders it doesnt get much better. Ever talk to someone who rides trails on the YZ constantly complaining about the hard seat. For racing the predator may not be the best choices right now but for trailriding why would you need anthing else.

Old 10-28-2003, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

it is slow, even with the 39 tooth sprocket, can't compete with the 450. getting fed up with it. it is in the shop for the head problem and it is increasingly hard to find neutral, slipped out of third gear a few times and is heavy to throw around. don't get me wrong, i like the bike but their may be better options, don't you agree?

Old 10-28-2003, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I went blue. But for trail riding I love the pred. The suspension is plush and the seat is great, but I’ve gotten addicted to adrenaline and racing, so I bought the new blue and I really like that machine too! But for trails, you can’t beat the pred…well, maybe a 4x4 scrammy with some hpd mods[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

JCAL - Slow? what are you talking about, are you racing mx/gnccc or just racing friends down the road?

I have a HMF pipe, 39 tooth rear sprocket and just recently put a clamp on k&N and done some carb mods and this thing is anything but slow. It plain rips when I can get traction.

Pudl- we need to get together because I would love to run the YZ striaght up on a flat drag to see what I can do. You cant believe the difference the K&N slip on and carb mods does to this thing. By the way, we done the same mods to my buddies with the WB slip on and the HMF pulls it by 11/2 quads every time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-28-2003, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

when it gets tractionis the big part of the equation. watch a y450 go and the thing just hooks and goes, little tire spin. i used to beat everyone, but now the 450 is king. they just out pull me

Old 10-28-2003, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

problem with wanting to have the fastest quad is there is always someone faster. Period Buy the YZ and someone will show up with something faster guarantee.

Old 10-28-2003, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Yea faster is real easy. All it has to say is HPD on the side. Blue,Red,Green all that matters is you ride, and are loven it. People that will not ride are sure missing out on life. If I made more $$$ than maybe I could say more. LOL

later

Old 10-28-2003, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with your hook and go theory jcal. Try some Kenda Klaws or Holeshots on the back of your pred. The razrs suck! I put the klaws on and even on a gravel road I felt bigger hook-up and go. Those tires really improved the handling, as well as it could be improved for changing tires. But I’ll tell you what, that YFZ tranny is so smooth, if I take of on my pred you will hear me shift…if I blaze down a straight on the yfz, it will sound like I have the throttle open on an auto tranny, it is really that smooth! Plus the light weight of the yfz makes it faster in 300 ft. than the pred, but after that the 500cc will eventually catch up I imagine. But in the woods, the “power now” effect comes into play on the yfz with the quicker reving engine and shorter tranny ratios…awesome for 180 turns and a blast of throttle between trees, interchanges, or off-cambers!!

99bb, I’m most likely gonna be in waterloo with the predator and the yfz and with my buddy on his rappy. Show up if you’re free. Otherwise we’ll be planning a trip to bluff creek in November and I’ll send you a pm when I know that date!!

Old 10-29-2003, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

Jammer42,
If you are who I think you are,your pred is the exception to the rule!! I was at Monkey Butt in Janesville. I’m pretty sure we were kitty corner from you. I was parked with Ken Thompson ‘modquad’ who had his predator and hpd race mod scrammy. I was doing my comparison on stock vs. stock, and there is always variations to that rule, like the 100 lb. kid that won the class I was in just cause he was so light on his pred. But I know you have a lot of HPD in your pred, and yes, you will smoke most quads with that machine. But on a stock vs. stock basis is where I was basing my comparison. When I was at monkey butt I had HMF on my pred and got beat by 2 lenghts by a piped yfz. And I’m no slouch on the shifter either, I always made it into the top 10 of each of my classes at monkey butt. I hope you’re not offended by my opinions. But I agree, the pred has a lot of potential and hauls the mail with the HPD mods cause I’ve seen the Nicholas cycle bike in person moping the floor with modded raptors. But for tight woods Hare Scrambles, they yfz is hard to beat with it’s narrower and lighter stance in a stock package. And don’t take what you see on GNCC on tv as an example of what our Harescrambles our like, D23 makes GNCC look like racing 4-lane highway. I’ve been in a couple races where even the predator didn’t fit first blast, had to blaze a new/slower trail to get around!!

Quick Reply: who's thinking of junkin the predator??