Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Pull starting a Predator

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull starting a Predator

If you have read some of my other threads you know I have starting problems with my Predator (mostly self inflicted I think). While at Glamis this weekend I kinda found something interesting and I cannot explain??? I could not get it started by using the starter (it would crank over good) but when pull starting it would fire right up instantly. I tried hooking jumper cables to it thinking maybe battery voltage was down but that did not help. If you have not read my threads I have modded my airbox, 170 main, 50 pilot, and a White Bros. (Pure Polaris) slip on with no endcap. The bike is really fast but will not start when it is cold. Once it is warm it will fire right up and no problems at all. I am just posting this because it is a little more information than I had before hoping that it might ring a bell with someone and they might be able to help diagnose the problem??? By the way thanks to all that have helped in the past.

Old 11-03-2003, 12:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

This is of no real relevance to your post, but my friend's Bombardier 650DS Baja has difficulty starting when it's cold, but always starts with a pull. I don't know why.

Old 11-03-2003, 03:46 AM
Pro Rider

The only relationship I can think of is the carb, they both use the exact same carb. Who knows?????? If someone does please help. I just checked the valves there is clearance, I can rotate the buckets easily. So at least they are not hanging open.

Old 11-03-2003, 07:42 AM
Pro Rider

I had a similar problem with a banshee once upon a time - put pipes, k&n, jet kit, pilot jets, and mod'ed airbox in it. Turned out to be the pilot jets I used were too big. Once I put smaller pilots in it, it would crank on the 1st or 2nd kick, cold or not.

Idea behind the story is your pilot jet may be the wrong size (up? down?)