Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Best Ported Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 08:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Ported Cylinder?

I've decided to spend some more $ on the scrambler 400. I want to pretty much do the top of the motor.

-Ported cylinder
-head or headd work
- carb
- reeds

what do you guys suggest, i want to make good power but still want to run pump gas. best pump gas around here is either 93 or 94 octane.
as far as teh cylinder is concerned, i spoke to rick ritter and he can get me one the quickest as i do not want to be without a quad for a month. from what i understand he does some pretty nice work? woulod there be any reason to send it elsewhere and wait the month?? let me know

2nd- the head, pros and cons of working the stock head vs a billet head?? let me know

3rd- carb suggestions, ive seen everything from 38's to 42's?

and what are the best reeds ?
thanks guys
i appreciate al the great advice
Matt

Old 11-04-2003, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

HPD has my vote.

later

Old 11-04-2003, 08:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Rick Ritter is top notch and there is not a single person on here that would not recommend him. I would assume that the billet head would run a lot cooler, plus it is already ported (I would assume) For rreeds, the V-Force 2's are suppose to be the cats meow, as well as the 39 PWK carb

Old 11-04-2003, 08:59 PM
CED
Pro Rider

I agree give Rick a call and tell him what you want to do,he will steer you in the right direction.

Old 11-04-2003, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Rick's the man. He did mine and WOW what a difference. While your at it have him mill your stock head and run 92 octane and you'll be set.

Old 11-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

if you're going with HPD stuff,you should drop a line to bubba porting,right here on this POLARIS forum...

Old 11-05-2003, 09:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have the cylinder NO MORE than 2 working days max. Give it a trail port job, mill the head .020, and put a good set of replacement reeds in it. That will be enough to make you thing you dropped another motor in it.

Trending Topics

Old 11-05-2003, 10:16 AM
Range Rover

My vote is for Bubba297.Excellent results and very fast turnaround.Around 5-6 days if I remember right.William will treat you right and answered all the phone calls I threw at him.Even at work mind you.Now if thats not personalized service,it doesnt exist.With the Bubba motor in,I cant remember what stock was like.Go with Bubba,you wont be dissapointed.There are alot of guys in this forum thats had Bubba do their work.Chances are he will save you alot of money also.Scott.

Old 11-05-2003, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

I have cylinders in stock ready for exchange that are ported and ready to go . The ones I have in stock are fresh bored +10 or +20 over .

I also have a half dozen or so heads machined and rechambered in compressions of 150 lbs to 190 lbs.

We also have the Aaen head girdles in stock to secure the cylinder to the cases .

I charge $250 for a comeplete port job and $50 for head machining . If you have a dollar budget you wish to stay in pick a dollar figure to work with and I will spend your money in the best places inside the cylinder , occasionally folks will want to spend $100 on port work work in a cylinder , we can accomodate you if that is what you want .

Rick

Old 11-05-2003, 01:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rick, just to let you know that I would never try to be in competition. You are a tremendous help to everyone including myself. I also steer everyone in your direction. YOU ARE THE MAN! I just try helping anytime I can. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Best Ported Cylinder?