Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator Blows FLAMES out Pipes and pops HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator Blows FLAMES out Pipes and pops HELP!!

Maybe It's The rev limiter but, it isn't like I'm rev it allthe way and holding it .It happens when I wick it up to the top . And if I rev it quick and let off quick it pops with flames coming out. anyway I will bring it to the dealer BUT, you all know how that goes. Drop it off and wait for days== and it's more than likely Jetting.
It could be the jetting because it was 75 degrees out when I rode it And then it got cooler and now it in the 50's. WHO Knows?

Old 11-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i think its your rev limiter also.. it may be jetting... but i havent changed my jets and ive been in 100 degree weather all the way to 40 degrees and havent noticed anything.

Old 11-05-2003, 03:22 PM
Trailblazer

Welcome to the world of Predator jetting and CDI issues! I have an '03 with a similar set up to what you have. I went through so many jetting changes and other adjustments that I can do them now with my eyes closed. It is my guess that your jetting is still a bit off, and you most likely have the same CDI box that the '03's had. That box is usually set to start a slow retard of about 3-4 degrees to the timing at the top end, right about 8200 rpm on most bikes. With the jetting off, and the slow retard, you will get popping and backfiring.

I installed a tach on mine, set the jetting to the very best performance level I could find, and then learned to shift at 8000 rpm. The stock CDI box will stop making power there anyway, so any over-rev you are doing past 8000 is a waste of time. You didn't say what type of K&N, or what your jetting specs are, but here's what I did. It runs great, actually hauls butt for a basically stock machine. Oh, I live and ride at sea level in the SoCal desert....

Main jet 175 (Dynojet jet) (It can go even richer, but this choice has balanced out as about the best overall)
Pilot jet 50 (Mikuni jet)
needle jet Dyno jet on 3rd clip
mixture screw, 3-3.5 turns out from fully seated
W/B slip on with 8 discs and the spark arrestor core installed at the end
Clamp-on K&N filter, with a Outerwears cover....

Good luck

JJ

Old 11-05-2003, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JJGI5150
Welcome to the world of Predator jetting and CDI issues! I have an '03 with a similar set up to what you have. I went through so many jetting changes and other adjustments that I can do them now with my eyes closed. It is my guess that your jetting is still a bit off, and you most likely have the same CDI box that the '03's had. That box is usually set to start a slow retard of about 3-4 degrees to the timing at the top end, right about 8200 rpm on most bikes. With the jetting off, and the slow retard, you <STRONG>will get</STRONG> popping and backfiring.

I installed a tach on mine, set the jetting to the very best performance level I could find, and then learned to shift at 8000 rpm. The stock CDI box will stop making power there anyway, so any over-rev you are doing past 8000 is a waste of time. You didn't say what type of K&N, or what your jetting specs are, but here's what I did. It runs great, actually hauls butt for a basically stock machine. Oh, I live and ride at sea level in the SoCal desert....

Main jet 175 (Dynojet jet) (It can go even richer, but this choice has balanced out as about the best overall)
Pilot jet 50 (Mikuni jet)
needle jet Dyno jet on 3rd clip
mixture screw, 3-3.5 turns out from fully seated
W/B slip on with 8 discs and the spark arrestor core installed at the end
Clamp-on K&N filter, with a Outerwears cover....

Good luck

JJ

Like JJ said, this is a jetting issue. Betcha your dealer didn't jet it correctly (they never do) when they did the mods. When it is correct, you'll pull clean all the way up to mid-8k rpm's before the rev-limiter kicks in.

Old 11-05-2003, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

I have a drop in K+n filter And a dyno jet kit. the dealer said that it has a 155 main jet.The silencer has 8 discs and No baffle.I live in New Jersey at sea level and it is anywhere from 70 degrees to 50 degrees. right now it is about 65.
I called Hot Seat because , I don't believe the dealer. the dealer said that it is the rev limiter,but, i don't think so .Hot seat told me to richen it up by moving the needle. I tried this and it seemed to get a little better.so i tried to richen it one more slot and it got flat and didn't pull well.
NOW i don't know what to do . I thought that maybe I would put in a 160 jet and if it was to rich I would then move the needle leaner.
I would like to take out the spark arrester but , I don't want to burn down the forest.
What do you all think ?????

Old 11-05-2003, 05:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

****, i jump to a 160... you are supose to re-jet to a 155 with just the k&n!!!

Old 11-05-2003, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

As soon as you get you're jetting down, you're probably want to open up the airbox also, so I would do these together. Start the easy route, spend $10 and get a set of uni-vents, mount them in the rear of the airbox, toss away your stock pre-filter. Do a search in these forum posts for "Predator Jetting" to get the recommended jetting for your elevation/temperature. Check to make sure the mods you have are similar to the recommendations. There's a wealth of information in here that has covered this issue, but the different elevations and mods have different recomendations.

Old 11-05-2003, 06:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

well, i have a K&n drop in.. Biggun exhaust.. and 6 uni vents in the back of my airbox... i am running a 162.5 in anywhere from 100 degrees to 40 and i am also at sea level. i havent had a problem yet... but i will have to jet up when it gets colder... i assume.
that should get your jettin the the right direction since we are both about the same.. except you dont have the vents.. thats why i recommended 160.

Old 11-05-2003, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

I'll try the 160 main jet????? THANK YOU GUYS!!!!
HOPEFULLY I'll get it .
I don't know what made me think this would be any DIFFErent from my scrambler 400.
I guess polaris doesn't know how to jet this>there no help!!!!!

Old 11-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

no prob.. but tell your dealer to look into jetting a little better... they shouldnt give it back til it runs puff..

Quick Reply: Predator Blows FLAMES out Pipes and pops HELP!!