Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Update on cold start problem and jetting issues.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on cold start problem and jetting issues.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] After many attempts at rejetting and adjusting I found and fixed the hard starting problem when the bike was cold. I ran compression test and found that it had only 30 dry and 120 wet. Checked the valves and found that they were extremely tight and hanging open on the intake side. Bingo, reshim the valves and started on first click of the starter button. I was amazed at how easy they are to adjust. I had a harder time finding the correct shims than I did reshimming them.

So, the end result is,,,,, it is very important to have your valves adjusted if they are too tight it willgive you all sorts of wierd problems.

This is my set up: Modified air box with K&N drop in, 170 main, 50 pilot, 3 turns on mix screw, enlarged holes in slide to 1/8", cut 4 coils off of slide spring, needle on second notch from top, W/B Slip on spark arrestor removed, and of corse properly adjusted valves. This setup works awesome. I have not had it on a dyno but you can definatly feel the difference over stock.

Thanks for the help EVERYONE.

Old 11-07-2003, 09:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

well thats good to hear.
and valves wern't hard eh? i will prolly hafta do mine soon... i atleast wanna check them to make sure they are still close.

Old 11-07-2003, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

The DS650 has the same valve shim set up and I just adjusted mine also. My intakes were TIGHT. But after I put it together I had the timing off and I bent some valves... No big deal, I having a friend do the head work and get it put back together.... But I have some good news, I just saved a load of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico... LOL!!!

Old 11-07-2003, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

Most of the info I got was from this forum both the Polaris and Bombardier areas due to the similarities between the two. There were alot of people who chimed in willing to help several times I appreciate all. Thanks again!!!