Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1993 350 liquid 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 350 liquid 4x4

They say the two happiest days in a man's life are when he buys a boat.....and then sells it. I just sold my boat that I used to take the kids tubing with because they lost interest in it since I got more than one four wheeler. Since I had some jingle in my pocket, I decided to update my little Yamaha breeze into a larger Polaris. Looked at a few yesterday that looked nicer in the picture than in real life and was starting to get discouraged. Well last night, I found a post just put on Craigslist for a 93 350L 4x4. I was the first caller and showed up bright and early this morning to look at it. All original and with 600 miles. Only thing I need to fix is the red handled brake master cylinder that doesn't pump up. The owner was an 80 year old man that used it to plow his funeral home. I paid less than a grand for it. Are there any problems with these machines?

Mike

Old 05-24-2015, 03:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Throw that old red handled m/cylinder in the trash. More than likely the bore inside is corroded. Most of the ones I tried to rebuild were.Plus they never put the pressure on the calipers like the replacement m/cylinders did.IF you want to try to rebuild,appears the parts are still available. #8-13 Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse If you don't get one of these.Aftermarket,but fits the 94 400,93 250,etc and should work.http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-POLARIS-FRONT-LEFT-BRAKE-MASTER-CYLINDER-CRUMPOL-/371297602256?fits=Make%3APolaris&hash=item56730fcad0&vxp=mtr Be sure to change the counter balance fluid on this old 350. Hopefully the water pump seals haven't leaked into the cavity. Just takes around 100ccs of oil.5w30,0w40,etc are ok to use. Drain is a 10mm screw under the crank case. Fill plug is the 14mm that sticks out at the front of the engine. Wish you well on this old one,but check it over front to rear and get a manual!!DOWNLOAD 1985-1995 Polaris ATV Repair Manual ALL MODELS - Download ...

Old 05-24-2015, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

I already have a manual for this model so I will look it over when I get time. The motor looks very similar to the 400, but I didn't see where the counter balance dipstick was on it. Didn't seem to be in the same location of to the side under the card like my 400 is located. It is an older machine, but was well taken care of so I hope it runs out good. I drove it around for a long time when I went and looked at it and it is very tight and no strange noises. The longer I am around these polaris ATV's, I am liking these older ones for the price and parts availability than going to the polaris dealer and signing loan papers on a new one. All the guys in the campground think I'm an antique dealer with these older machines, lol

Mike

Old 05-24-2015, 04:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The 350 doesn't have a dip stick located under the carb like the 400s do. They just have the fill plug at the front of the engine case.Item#25.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse The problem with older machines is that hard parts are starting to become nla.Have to figure it's 22 years old. Aftermarket parts such as,stators,cdis and many other parts help keep them going.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

I had some time to look the machine over tonight. The coolant and the counterbalance were both very clean. I drained the counterbalance oil and put fresh stuff in it since the last time it was really used was the winter of 2014. As far as the brakes go, I took the master cylinder assembly off and cleaned it up. It had a layer of crude on the bottom and wasnt letting the fluid flow so now I just have to bleed the brakes...which means letting the bleeders sit over night soaking in penetrating oil, lol. Everything else looks good on this machine, the belt is good as is the steering. The only thing that doesn't work at the moment is the low beam headlights. I checked the bulbs and they were good, just didn't have time to dig farther into it. I have the old fellas service records and it appears he had the machine serviced at the local Polaris dealer every spring since he bought it, with the last being in 2014. I guess the reason he sold it was it had a manual plow lift on it and he was getting up there in age where it was too hard for him to operate so he bought a new Polaris with a winch. He then gave this machine to his grandson who has no desire to own an ATV so it ended up in my hands.

When I get it all spiffed up, I'll post some pictures. Other than a few scratches in the decals on the side with the plow handle, this thing is pretty nice looking.

Mike

Old 05-28-2015, 09:47 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Good sign that there wasn't coolant in the c/b cavity. Bleed screws were tough to break loose as they get corroded over time. Not a bad idea to use a little anti seize on the threads if your able to break them loose without breaking them.Saves problems in the future.Older folks usually take better care of their machines I've noticed over the years. They don't like having to buy a new one unless they have to.