Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

DO I HAVE TO REMOVE THE STEERING SHAFT TO REPLACE THE LOWER BUSHINGS

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DO I HAVE TO REMOVE THE STEERING SHAFT TO REPLACE THE LOWER BUSHINGS

I HAVE A 1995 425 MAGNUM 4X4 & I HAVE PLAY IN THE STEERING. I ALREADY REPLACED ALL TIEROD ENDS
BUT I STILL HAVE PLAY IN THE STEERING. NOT AS MUCH AS BEFORE BUT THERE IS STILL TOO MUCH PLAY .I HAVE A MANUAL & IT SAYS TO REMOVE THE FRONT FENDERS , GAS TANK,FRONT FENDERS,HANDLE BARS ECT. ALL THIS TO REPACE THE LOWER BUSHINGS. ARE THERE ANY SHORT CUTS? THERE SEEMS TO BE ALOT OF PLAY ON THE LOWER PART OF THE SHAFT SIDE TO SIDE & SOME UP & DOWN IS THERE ANY THING ELSE THAT WEARS, LIKE THE SHAFT? I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFO ON THIS?

THANKS

Old 11-12-2003, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

dont write in caps lock because that means u are yelling....

Old 11-12-2003, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

IM SORRY BADASS OOOOH DID I SCARE YOU

Old 11-12-2003, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

Hey muddymagnum with an attitude like that do you still hope for info? Not from Me! And I did put a lower bushing in my scrambler.

Steve

Old 11-12-2003, 11:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

It could be the upper bushing but most likely it is the lower bushing. They are plastic and rivited on....very cheap and dont last. HPD makes a nice aluminum replacement that uses bolts instead of rivits. It is a much better setup. Call them to be sure that it will work on your Magnum. You will probably have to remove the fenders and gas tank in order to drill out the rivits, unless you have an angle drill. However you can get the rivits out, it doesn't madder. But, you will have to take the cotter pin and nut off the bottom of the steering stem in order to lift it up enough to remove the old bushing. The handle bars shouldn't need to come off unless you have to remove them to get the plastic off. Hope this helps

Old 11-13-2003, 07:38 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off get the HPD replacement bushing.Now take the gas tank off,the 2 bolts on the top bracket,take tierod ends off the post,take the bottom nut off,pull tthe shaft up out of the way,drill the rivets out,drill the holes out to fit the bolts that came with the new unit.reverse the prosses to get it back together.The hardest part is drilling the holes out but if you take the gas tank off you can get to them easier. Brad

Old 11-13-2003, 01:30 PM
Trailblazer

Basically follow what ftw said, I replaced mine with a Rick Ritter lower bushing, I also replaced the upper while I had it apart, Rick said the stock Polaris replacement upper was as good as any others. I was about 4 hours from start to finish doing mine on the sportsman, taking my time. Good Luck

Old 11-13-2003, 07:14 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Hey 4wheelitis how many beers did it take[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] A couple hours should knock it out.

Old 11-13-2003, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS. I DONT KNOW WHAT I WOULD HAVE DONE WITH OUT THE INFO & TIPS I HAVE READ AT THE FORUMS. THE ONLY OTHER QUESTION I HAVE IS WHERE CAN I GET THE HPD BUSHING IM NOT TO SURE WHERE TO GET HPD PRODUCTS IN CANADA EH. I HAVE ORDERED PARTS FROM THE GOOD OLD USA BEFORE BUT IT TAKES SO LONG , SOMETIMES DONT GET THE PARTS AT ALL & IF I DO BY THE TIME I PAY THE SHIPPING & EXCHANGE , ITS NOT WORTH IT . DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN MAIL ORDER HPD PARTS UP HERE ?
THANKS AGAIN
JASON

Old 11-13-2003, 09:37 PM
Quad Patrol

online www.hpd-inc.com phone 763-389-3336 part # SPB price $29.95

Quick Reply: DO I HAVE TO REMOVE THE STEERING SHAFT TO REPLACE THE LOWER BUSHINGS