Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

K & N cleaning...good!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 01:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K & N cleaning...good!

About two months ago I bought a 2002 Scrambler 400 4x4 from a friend of mine. I was in the market for a brand new quad but he is so **** about his toys that this was almost as good as new (and a much better deal).
Anyway, it has had some work done to it (I have the receipts but couldn't list everything off the top of my head - pipe, jetted, reeds, filter, spark arrestor).

After going out for a few rides with my friends someone suggested that I should clean the K & N filter. I went and bought the cleaning fluids and cleaned it on Saturday. After I applied the cleaning solution and rinsed it out the filter still looked black on the inside. Should it?
I ran water through the filter and it passed through clean (no crap in the sink) so I figured I was ok. I let it dry overnight and applied the oil. I rode later that day and found the bike to be very responsive.
So now I am wondering what other type of general maintenance I should be doing? How often should that filter be cleaned (I ride dirt and water)?
Thanks for your suggestions.
Goss50

Old 11-24-2003, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

i always used klotz fabric air filter cleaner for those k&n,it is specially made to clean them up....be sure to fully dry the filter then,,,after the whole thing done you must oil it with klotz fabric filter oil wich fit better and work best to prevent crap to go inside the
engine,,,remember,those filter loose some quality after some washing.

Old 11-24-2003, 02:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Clean it whenever it gets dirty, basically. There is no set maintence for them. You can keep it cleaner a lot longer if you invest in an Outerwears. They are only about $10 through Rocky MT ATV

Old 11-24-2003, 03:05 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the input.
I guess he had the oil injection mod done (so I don't have to mix the fuel).
Is there anything else I should be doing on a regular basis?
I have the manual but just haven't had the time to sit down with it yet.
Goss50

Old 11-24-2003, 03:44 PM
Trailblazer

Also, there is already a prefilter on there. I don't see the name Outerwear on there though. Should IGet the Outerwear one? I don't have a problem cleaning the fileter from time to time.

Old 11-24-2003, 05:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The Prefilter is good too. It is just K&N's version of the Outerwear. Grease all your zerks regulary, oil your chian and adjust it, check your counterbalance often adn change it, change your hub fluid, trans fluid, and front diff fluid every 100 hours. All that should be covered in the manual.

Old 11-24-2003, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

You say he had the oil injection mod done. "so you don't have to mix the fuel". The only mod to the oil injection that I know of is removing oil injection. If he removed it you need to mix your oil and gas.