Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

MAKE A SCRAMBLER GO SLOWER!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 06:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAKE A SCRAMBLER GO SLOWER!

I think WISTECH is on the right track. Restricting the movement of the sheaves would probably be my preference. A smaller belt would limit the movement of the sheaves but I think it would cause problems at idle.

Old 12-04-2003, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

I pm'ed you as well. There is a bushing that the 500 sportsmans have that limits how far the spider can ride up the crank. Most guys throw this away, you may want to use one or two of them to keep the primary from going into higher gear.

Old 12-04-2003, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer

I've been surfing trying to find info on the CVT clutch system. I found the article below. Check it out. Now I know why clutching is not as simple as it seems

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Clutch Mechanics

Old 12-06-2003, 04:24 PM
Trailblazer

just tape a little piece of wood behind the throttle so it can only go in so far limiting the speed then take it off when u have the need for speed!

Old 12-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: KevinM
Put a Honda motor in it.
HA HA HA HA HA ROFLMAO woo hoo that is funny!

Rev limiter makes the most sense. If you dont want the kids to have full throttle on flat ground, why let them have it on hills? If the hill is that steep they can go around, or wait until they are older. right?

Old 12-06-2003, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

Or, you could tell the kids that if they don't learn to drive at less than full throttle, the Scrambler will be taken away. Just a thought.

Old 12-06-2003, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer

I've been considering all the possible ways of preventing the kids from going full throttle and the scrambler has enough power where that would work. But the problem I may have now is letting the 2 stroke rev out occasionally to prevent the plug from fowling out. From my experience 2 strokes are made to be run hard and if you don't wind them out they tend to run rough. I'm considering trying to make a collar that would fit over the primary shaft between the the two halves of the front pully. If the two halves can not get as close together as they normally would wouldn't that make it go slower? I am just not sure how this would affect the rear assembly.

Old 12-07-2003, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

Here is a parts breakdown on a Sportsman 500 HO. Part #8 is a limiting nut(spacer). THis keeps the clutch from making it all the way together. Most guys with the 500s just throw these things away. There was even a problem with them breaking sometimes. Anyone with a Sportsman 500 who knows what I'm talkin about feel free to chime in. Anyway, if you got a couple of these on one bike it would keep it in a lower range regardless of throttle position. This would have no adverse effect on the secondary, as it only reacts to the force applied to it from the primary. I just don't know how much it will actually slow them down. Sportsman 500 primary clutch schematic.

Old 12-07-2003, 02:24 AM
Pro Rider

I would say your on the right track buy limiting the secondary from opening all the way you will still have power but will restrict top end.
Leave the stock spring in the drive clutch and find the heaviest secondary you can get set it at the 2-1 position it is the heaviest not too sure if it will work for sure but seems to be in the right direction you could also try putting heavy weights on the drive clutch to load the motor but I think the secondary spring makes more sense. Not to sure if it will raise the rpm too high .
A good way for sure would be to ask Rick ritter

Old 12-07-2003, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider

Alpine, What are those pics on your page of? WHere you the spy?

Quick Reply: MAKE A SCRAMBLER GO SLOWER!