Need Advice--Predator or Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 02:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice--Predator or Raptor

Boatguy:

Welcome!

I got into the sport heavily about 3yrs ago and sold my ski boat this spring. Didn't miss it all summer!

Where do you live? Are you riding trails or dunes? If dunes I think the Raptor or the DS are the best bets. If you are around 150# and 5'8" the YFZ is quick and a great choice. However, the YFZ isn't near as comfortable and the seat is hard as a rock.
Where will you ride? If you are riding trails only you don't need any more power than a 400EX.
What do you weigh? If you are over 200# the YFZ is too small as is the 400EX.
How tall are you? If over 6' do yourself a favor and go sit on a DS too (unless you are looking for a tight trail quad.)

Go sit on these quads. See which is more comfortable. If you like riding as much as I do you are going to be sitting on this quad a lot.

As for reverse, if you are making a selection based on this feature you are looking at the wrong kind of quads. . . you need to go look at the Utility quads. If anything I think the reverse only leads to reliability issues. These are sport quads. You don't need reverse. Only exception may be trails. . . I don't ride the kinds of trails a lot of the guys have back east so there may be a good reason for reverse for that kind of riding.

Old 12-06-2003, 09:49 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Current stock equipment list of the Predator already reads like a who's who of aftermarket gear. Chromoly axle, stainless steel braided brake lines, composite (that's read light, and durable) swingarm skidplate, pro-steering (virtually eliminates bumpsteer, and a vast majority of obstacle feedback to the handlebars), Douglas .190 aluminum rims......Oh yea, and a company who gladly stood behind a first year machine by covering many design burps....even when they were way out of warranty. Do you want to have to mess with only one carb when you do any motor mods, or do you want the hassles of having to rejet 2?

The burps have been worked out of the 04, take a look at them both.
They're both good, but when you take a two year jump in technological advancements, believe me, you won't miss the reverse at all.

Old 12-06-2003, 01:01 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all of the replies. This is helping.

I'll also get a little more specific where I am using this. I am in AZ and during the summer, I am going to leave the quad up North (elevation 5500) for trial riding, but not down or up the side of a mountain. I'll still be boating so the summer rideing may be once or twice a month. The trails are usuall as wide as a car. Reverse is not important. I figure if I have to turn around, I'll turn the wheels and gas it to spin around. My size is 6'2'' 205#.

In the winter, I'll ride in the desert around PHX and go to the dunes 1-3 times a year.

I don't care much about top end speed. If I get the Predator, I was going to gear it down to give me more in 2 through 4. Is the Raptor way more top heavy? Does the steering in the Predator make that much difference? Is there a huge difference in suspension?

Thanks again to all of the replies so far.

Old 12-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Trailblazer

either would be quite nice quads but stock for stock equipment the predatoe has the rappy beat and also it has razor tires on those douglas .190's

Old 12-06-2003, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

If those are your requirements, and that is your size then by all means get the Predator. Rappys are hard on us big guys.

Old 12-06-2003, 01:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i love the steering on my pred.. i think it makes a difference.

Old 12-06-2003, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer

My friend has a Predator and I have ridden that. I loved it, but my question to everyone is basically what would I be missing by getting a Predator over a Raptor, or am I not missing anything at all? What has been your experience compared to the Raptor or vice versa. I only want to buy one quad in the next 4-5 years and I'm trying to make sure I am happy with it.

Old 12-06-2003, 04:21 PM
Range Rover

in my opinion, get the pred!!!!! i havent ridden the rappy, so i cant say TOO much. just today i bought the troy lee 2004 pred, and i am very very happy with it. preds got my vote.

Old 12-06-2003, 04:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

IMO.. all your missing out on is reverse and some torque.. ya raptors have been around longer.. have more parts avalible... people say polaris isnt reliable... but niether is first year yamaha.. i cant speak for the 04 models but i think they all the bugs worked out.. and if they arent worked out.. they will warrenty it... and new mods are coming everyday.

Old 12-06-2003, 04:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

With your riding requirements, do yourself a favor and at least go sit on a DS.

Since you only want to purchase one quad in the next 4-5 years you should take your time making up your mind on what you purchase. Don't just get one because one of your friends has one.

I am 6'2" also and weigh about 220# and the Raptor isn't nearly as comfortable as the DS. My Wife likes my DS better than her Raptor for the ride.

Quick Reply: Need Advice--Predator or Raptor